Book Review: "Kinship With All Life" by J. Allen Boone

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

I have re-discovered the joys of spending a few moments in the evening stretched out on the couch (or in my case, a hammock) and reading a few pages of a good book.

A real book.

The smell of the paper and ink, the feel of the cover - there is something about it that I just love.

And like many of us, I'm weaning myself from screen time after dark.

My older brother reminded of this book. Both of us had read it years ago, and I am guessing you might have too. It is so worth a re-visit.

The story is about J. Allen Boone who was given charge of an extraordinary Hollywood star dog named Strongheart. Before Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, Old Yeller, and the others - there was Strongheart. J Allen doesn't know much about dogs and is given very specific instructions on how to take care of Strongheart which creates a level of relationship between the man and dog I know I certainly desire.

At first the story about Stronghearts capabilities were so extraordinary I wondered was this really true? And lo and behold there are YouTube videos of old footage of the movies in which Strongheart had the leading role.

J Allen essentially becomes telepathic with Strongheart. He tells of his journey and the steps he took to achieve the relationship and connection with the dog.

And then the book tells about others who have the same capabilities with horses, snake, worms, ants, and others. The final story is truly an inspiring one of a common house fly named Freddie. A house fly only lives a couple of weeks, but wow, what you can pack into a couple of weeks! Freddie's life and example are amazing.

This slim little volume is a classic (published in 1954) for a huge reason - it's a great book.

And while I love easy to read shorter books, this is one that I wanted to go on for a lot longer.

Pick up a copy, read it, and I would love to know your thoughts on the material. I know many of us in TGN have had profound experiences with plants and animals. This book describes a whole other level of possibility.

Comments