avocados

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Cooking

I just just started using avocados. They are good for you in so many ways.

But being a new item I do not know many ways to use it.

How do you all prepare an avocado or incorporate it into recipes and meals?

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Well the obvious one guacamole 😉

Sliced or cubed on bread.

One half avocado and an egg in the hole of the pit. Baked in the oven.

• Monek Marie

@Jens LOL, I have never had guacamole!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Denise Grant Oh, so many ways!

There is the traditional Guacamole. But other dips as well. I've had it added to hummus. Add to smoothies. I like it chopped in salads. Slice and add as a sandwich filling along with tomatoes, lettuce, etc., or add as a topping to burgers. Mash and use as a sandwich spread. There are several recipes for avocado citrus dressings on the internet using a variety of citrus fruits. I like lime in mine.

Avocado Chocolate Mousse. https://www.wellplated.com/avocado-chocolate-mousse/ This is amazing.

Silky Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles. https://blog.paleohacks.com/dark-chocolate-avocado-truffles/#

I'm attaching a recipe booklet I got awhile ago from BC Living Magazine at: https://www.bcliving.ca/ I can't find the direct link to the booklet anymore but it didn't say anywhere that I couldn't share and I am giving credit here.

Enjoy!

• Jens the Beekeeper

Or cubed in wraps with sour cream salad salt, pepper and some lemon juice,.

You can use it in a green smoothie together with salad, kale and microgreens.

On bread with smoked salmon, with a minced boiled egg,

• Jens the Beekeeper

@torey looks like our post crossed 😁

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Jens Yes, I must have been uploading while you were posting. :)

• Monek Marie

Love all the ideas. It will be easier to get a picky eater to try avocados!~

• Monek Marie

So now, how do I root the avocado seed? I know you stick toothpicks in the sides and set over water with one end just in, but is the part in water that funny looking top thing (technical term)

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I love making a simple Guacamole with

• mashed avocado
    • diced onion
    • salt
    • garlic powder

So good!

• Monek Marie

@COWLOVINGIRL Sounds like an addition to lunch today Thank you!~

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I like slicing avocado and placing on crackers with a little salt and pepper! They are also good sliced on hamburgers.

• Jens the Beekeeper

Well you can do this or you follow David the Good and just bury them in a pot with compost and keep them watered.

• Monek Marie

@Jens Love David the Good, and the simple version is always nice

• Monek Marie

@torey That avocado chocolate mousse sounds amazing!~

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Denise Grant gotta say avocado is on of my faves. They are abundant in Australia and we have 3 young trees planted.(have to wait a few years before they produce) I eat it almost every day. In smoothies, salads, sandwiches/wraps. One favourite is vegemite, avocado and grilled cheese on toast. Recently tried a very good vegan choc mousse that was avocado based. Chunked up and tossed through a salad with goats cheese is a must!

• Monek Marie

@jodienancarrow I know they are good for you so I have added them to our menu.

I had one that had to be used today so it was Guacamole with fresh green onions and real bacon bits, tomato, cottage cheese and Pork slices. I am looking forward to new meal ideas

You'll have your own fresh avocados before you know it!

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Guacamole, sliced or cubed on salads, on my hamburgers, in sushi (California rolls), and chopped, frozen, then added to smoothies. We used to have an avocado tree when I was growing up...it was fabulous.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant We LOVE avocados! All of the ideas posted above are great! Another one I like is half an avocado and fill the hole (and a bit more) with chicken salad or something like that. Garnish..... Makes a nice lunch---pretty enough for company!

I also like to chop them and put on top of nachos.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@Denise Grant you asked about rooting avocado seed. We eat a lot of avocados and the seeds go into compost. All of a sudden I noticed unusual small trees in my compost. At least 5 avocado trees. Unfortunately our climate is not suitable to grow them outside in winter, but I moved two into the winter garden. Just for fun. I do not expect them to give any fruit.

so I would say, put them into a compost heap and wait 😊

• Monek Marie

@jolanta.wittib We would not get fruit here either, but they are a beautiful plant.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to use avocados in my BLT's (minus real bacon), I also like to saute them in different dishes (I got this idea from Benihana's) and I like to use them as "bowls" such as when I make chili or sauted vegetables. You can also serve egg or tuna salads in them.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@torey Avocado mousse is really delicious! You get a slight avocado aftertaste, but can hardly tell it's there at all.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@monica197 those avocado rolls look amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

One of our favorite ways to eat avocados is topped with a squeeze of lemon and some sea salt. Amazingly good for something so simple!

Then, being from Southeast Texas, I of course have to recommend eating avocados on any and all Tex-Mex food -- try it on tortilla soup, taco soup, enchiladas, etc. It's also good with scrambled eggs and pico. And we love sliced avocado on our occasional breakfast sandwiches -- egg, bacon, cheese, avocado, on an English muffin with a little mayo, toasted. This latter is a company-worthy breakfast!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I grew my two avocado plants by first putting them in water for a few days and transferring them into soil. They've been doing fine except when a cold wind came up one night. One of them lost it's leaves. I moved them indoors. I don't think we will ever get fruit from them, but they are interesting.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried both sticking toothpicks in them and rooting them and then planting them, and just throwing them in a pot with soil. Some how they make it to the first few leaves, but don't make it past that. Think I'll try again. I was fairly young the last time I tried growing Avocado seeds.

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

My fave quick avo recipe: slice, fan out, and sprinkle with lime jiuce and the Mexican seasoning blend called Tajine. You can get Tajine at any Mexican grocery or often in the Mexican section of your regular grocery store. Salty, spicy and with a citrus tang - yummy!

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I love chocolate avocado pudding!! I also freeze in cubes tossed with lime juice to use frozen in my smoothies instead of ice cubes.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Smoothies

Avovado key lime pie

Face mask

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Avocado brownies! It sounds really weird but offers a delicious gluten free or low carb brownie option. It tastes just like fudge brownies.