What are your favorite things to do with pineapple?

Owl
Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I recently read a great idea for what to do with pineapple and thought it sounded wonderful but I failed to save it. Today I found fresh, organic pineapple in my grocery store and I would love your favorite recipes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Just eat it plain especially organic ones taste so good.

You can use pineapple to marinade meat, especially pork tastes really good when soaked in pineapple juice or blended fruit overnight.

Sliced pineapple glanced with honey and put on a barbecue is great too.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Owl I am going to dehydrate some. My mother loves it this way but its expensive to buy.

Le me find the recipe. I have what you would call a pineapple bread pudding it you like bread pudding

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@Owl Be sure to save the peels! Over on this other thread, on page 1, about halfway down, @Tave posted a fantastic recipe for making a Bolivian drink from the pineapple peels. You boil the peels down in water for about a half hour with a cinnamon stick, cloves and ginger, to a concentrate that you can then mix with hot water for tea, or sparkling water for an iced drink. I tried it, and it is now my favorite thing for fresh pineapple.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Owl My first thought was, "Eat it fresh"!

About 16 years ago, my son & I went to Hawaii and I confess---we went to a McDonald's (UGH).... and they served fresh pineapple with whatever you ordered!! Made my meal!!

• Owl

Maryrowe, that was exactly the recipe I was looking for! Thank you for finding it for me!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to take fresh pineapples and cut them up then put them in the freezer so I can use them in my smoothies and saute them with Trader Joe's Japanese rice. I also give some to my dad and he puts some in his stir fries.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Fresh pineapple is soooo good! It also freezes well to be used in frozen drinks, alcohol optional.

• Owl

I love pineapple in any form and my favorite used to be in a certain rum drink. Unfortunately, my ability to imbibe has decreased with age and I can’t tolerate more than a tiny bit and really don’t like the stuff anymore. I do think that the boiled skin will be excellent in two ways: as a flavoring in my homemade kombucha but also mixed with whole milk and coconut milk. I’ll have to find out the best amounts but it just can’t help but be yummy. I will post the recipe after I figure it out if anyone is interested. As for the kombucha, I don’t know what flavors would go well with the pineapple and the kombucha. The flesh is definitely going in the dehydrator to make it available for lots of delicious things but mostly to be eaten as is. The dehydrator came with a decent sized recipe book so lots of great ideas to get me started there, in addition to the wonderful suggestions here.