New dehydrator, what are your favorite recipes?

Owl
Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I haven’t dehydrated anything other than jerky for several decades but I just got a new dehydrator that I can’t wait to try out. Please share your favorite recipes with me. I’m especially excited to be able to make tomato chips again and am planning the garden accordingly.

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Zucchini chips. Slice the zucchini and mix them with a bit of salad, black pepper and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Banana chips. Slice bananas and dehydrate.

You can use it for dried herbs or tea blends. I dry apple peels to use for apple tea. And nettles in the spring for a years supply of nettle tea.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Owl I love dehydrating peppers. Once dried they can be added to soups, any meals and are great on salads!

I make fruit leather, just blend your fruit, cut parchment paper to fit your dehydrator and you are set to go. I usually add a touch of lemon to my fruit leather.

Some people make tomato leather and just tear off a section if they only want a taste of tomato in a recipe

How do you make tomato chips?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

This company has some pretty good ideas and recipes. https://www.thepurposefulpantry.com/

• Owl

Great ideas! My mom used to slice tomatoes, salt them and put them straight to the dehydrator. She used them in recipes and ate them like potato chips. I’m thinking that they would be really tasty on winter salads too. I don’t remember how they tasted but it sure sounds good! I’m planning to do some pineapple tomorrow to experiment with the new toy.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

My family loves my apple and cinnamon-sugar chips!

Peel, core and slice apple brand of choice (I use Cortlands), dunk in lemon water, then toss in a cinnamon-sugar mix (cinnamon-sugar ratio to your taste) and then dehydrate!!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Soaking almonds, then dehydrating them makes them crunchy again and easier to digest. I used to make raw flaxseed crackers, too.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@Owl would you be willing to share your jerky recipe? I'd love to try to make some!

• Owl

I soak my venison in Dale’s with sea salt and sometimes I add some organic onion powder or organic garlic powder for a couple of days.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Following to see what else people come up with

• Owl

I realized later that not everyone has Dale’s steak sauce! Definitely not firing on all cylinders today. In the south, Dale’s is the traditional favorite but I think Moore’s is the preferred flavor up north.

Monica, could you please clarify what you dehydrate and how you use it for baking? Having never made nut milk, I’m a bit confused.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Kale and Zucchini chip. Mushrooms. These I often will put in to dishes. They soak up the water from the fresh foods or broth.

In the summer I regularly dry blue berries and strawberries and apples. Definitely banana chips. Haven't tried black berries yet.

When I harvest nettle, raspberry leaves and the like for tea, I dehydrate them.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

@Owl This has been on my want list for some time, and now your post has sent it to the top of my list!! May I ask what type you purchased?

• Owl

I bought a returned, scratch and dent unit, so it was less than half price. I looked at a bunch of them on Amazon and eBay and that was the best deal at that moment. It does have excellent reviews. I’m way too cheap to pay full price but I’m really excited to start using it!

These ideas are wonderful! I live a mile from a “you pick” blueberry farm so that will be great. I wonder how best I could take frozen blueberries out of the freezer and free up that space... I got a special tray for doing fruit leathers so that might be the best way to go. How do you store fruit leathers, do they have to be vacuum sealed?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Owl you can vacuum seal fruit leathers for longer storage. They don't last that long in my house! I usually wrap them in plastic wrap then they get put in a canning jar in the cupboard.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

flax crackers, sweet potato chips, my own sun dried tomatoes, making my own dried fruit, apple chips, banana chips.

• Owl

I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes and have a bumper crop that I just started harvesting that summered in the greenhouse. I would love to know how you do those as well as flax crackers. Since I had to give up flour, I haven’t found a flourless cracker that’s actually tasty for one of my favorite snacks of cream cheese and pepper jelly.

• Owl

I found a recipe for doing onions that I thought you might like: they called it crystallized onions and they are delicious! The article said that onions done raw smell so strong that it makes your clothes stink so I elected to try the crystallized instead and they are really good. I sliced the onions and browned them slightly in a little butter, drained them on the racks and then dehydrated at 90 degrees for 11 hours. They taste wonderful but I haven’t tried them in a recipe yet.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

ive done every fruit there is including my favorite watermelon, have done fruit rolls and yogurt both made in the dehydrator and yogurt drops. granola, chips. vegie chips and vegtables

• Owl

How did you do the watermelon and what is a yogurt drop?

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Awesome everybody!!!!!!!! Learned a lot today.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Watermelon: thin slices. Beef jerky. Cheezy kale chips. Mushrooms. I wore mine out when I had a lot of kale. I hope to build a solar one soon.

• Owl

I would love to know your recipe for cheesy kale chips! I seriously miss potato chips!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@Sharie I would love your Cheesy Kale Chips recipe too, if you don't mind sharing. It sounds yummy. We just bought our dehydrator a couple of days ago (a catalogue return) for less than 1/3 the price of a new one. My husband did pineapple last night. The extra heat was enough to keep us warm during the overnight cold snap. I'd also love to make a solar one, so if you have plans, I'd love to see them if you would like to share those too.

• Sharie

2 bunches kale, broken into large pieces by hand

Dressing:

¾ cups sesame tahini

¼ cup nama shoyu (note from Sharie -- I used Tamari)

½ cup apple cider vinegar

½ cup water ~ more if needed (I didn't use water)

2 scallion

1 clove garlic

1 lemon, juiced

¼ t. sea salt

¼ cup fresh parsley

Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine all ingredients in a blender and

blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. You may have to add more water.

Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want

this mixture to be really glued onto the kale.

Place kale onto a Teflex sheet, on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and

dehydrate for 4 hours @ 110 degrees. You'll need to use two trays. Rotate kale

occasionally to dry uniformly.

That's the original recipe. I add nutritional yeast and skip the parsley. Enjoy!

• Owl

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious but are these cheesy? I love cheesy chips!

• Monek Marie

Such fantastic recipes and ideas. Thank you all.

This summer I had hoped to (fit in) building a solar dehydrator. It would give me more space to dry more and of course independence for the grid

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had saved this site for us since we want to try and build a solar dehydrator as well. Though some of you could use it as well.

• Monek Marie
    edited April 2021

A solar dehydrator is on the top of my list for summer projects. I'm not shuffling it aside.

Thank you for posting @vickeym

• Owl

I’m having a fun time experimenting with my dehydrator but I have also been dehydrating the spring largesse of eggs. I can do 2 dozen at a time and have done a couple of batches. I believe it will be a huge step up from the lime solution we tried last spring.

• Sharie

Yes, they taste cheesy enough even for a cheese freak like myself!