Sea Buckthorn

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Fruit

I am adding as many native fruits and berries the property this year as I can. Sea Buckthorn has several useful purposes and is on my order. I am ordering from our local conservation district. The prices are very reasonable.

If your lucky you may be able to find this in the wild and get a harvest

https://morningchores.com/growing-sea-buckthorn/

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Sea buckthorn oil is amazing for the skin :)

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 Do you buy seabuckthorn oil or make it? I will have to check this out. Thank you

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I buy it but it would be awesome to be able to make it :)

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,633 admin

I have looked into a seed oil press and they are verrrry expensive. Way out of my budget.

But it would be lovely to make some of these oils. Carrot seed oil and raspberry seed oil are good additions to sun creams. Rose hip seed oil is very nourishing for the skin.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

torey

Yes, I have also looked into oil presses and found the cost prohibitive. I was hoping to incorporate the oil into my soap.

After planting 7 sea buckthorns into my starting-out food forest, I wondered what I could do with so many precious berries. I have been able to harvest from a neighbour for 3-4 years and it's usually enough for personal consumption from his one tree, so , seven, not sure. However, they have other benefits so I'm not sorry to have so many. They sure grow well with little care.