Red Ruffled eggplants or Pumpkin on a Stick
Have you ever had that one package of seeds that moves mysteriously throughout the house and appears in the weirdest places?
For me, its been pumpkin on a stick, also know as Red Ruffled Ornamental Eggplant. I have had this packet for 3 years. I find in different rooms all over the house: on the floor, almost in the sink filled with water, basically anyplace it should not be. The package is stained and shows severe abuse. In late winter or early spring it always goes MIA. Not this time!
Right now, it is sitting by me and is going into the extreme seed starting mode later today. Since I do not know the extent of its abuse I will start half of the seeds in a flat layer of toilet paper, dampen the paper with willow water and place in a plastic bag. Being a member of the eggplant/tomato plant is will benefit from heat so I will place on the top of the fridge. I'll check it in 5 days to see if I see any signs of life. It may need a misting of willow water at that time too. I'll continue to check it until some sprout or they look like they are rotting.
I'm planting half because this is a rather touchy seed, even under normal circumstances. It's very slow to germinate and has to be started early in my climate to get nice "pumpkin" fruits. Normally I consider this about 3 weeks early but I think this will be a very cranky seed so I am stepping up the game plan.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 29 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 467 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 539 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 400 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 109 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter