OMG- For Your Entertainment

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Cattle

Didn’t I recently read through a thread where people shared their escaped cow stories? I didn’t plan on joining in the fun.

Last night my husband disappeared for a few hours and ran in finally right before it started pouring rain. He’d been out chasing cows and we were down 2.

Spent a couple hours searching this morning in the rain and found a missing cow. Got a call later from the police. Our little bull had spent the night by the hospital and was breakfasting in front of the local moose lodge.

Still raining.

Got out there armed with nothing but a feed bucket, and it did not go as planned. Felt like the world’s biggest fool as I realized people were taking videos of me in front of the moose lodge standing there shaking a bucket at a bull who would not get in the trailer. 😭 One woman was just standing on her porch in her nightgown filming me! If only I had my phone and my fingers had been warm enough to use it, maybe I could have filmed her filming me, but no such luck.

We called in reinforcements. That didn’t go too well either, but the bull evidently knows his way around town better than I do and he walked the railroad tracks back to the paddock where the ladies were.

I had lost sight of the bull AND my friends but came back to find the herd reunited, standing innocently in the rain.

Tomorrow we electrify the fence.

Tagged:

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Glad you found your cows and your bull made his way home!

Where we live used to be very rural but now there are many subdivisions interspersed with the cows, goats, and horses. I love to drive down the road and see all of the animals. A couple years ago my daughter and I saw a pony running down the side of the road. It stopped in the elementary school parking lot. Guess it was looking for some kids to play with. We saw later on facebook that it had been taken home.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited February 2021

Bulls do things in their own time. All you can really do is encourage them on their way. They aren't stupid as you found out. He knew the path to follow back home to his girls.

Don't feel badly that that woman was filming the chaos. Think of it as giving her a taste of real country life and something to brighten her dull day (as much as it didn't brighten yours). I'm sure that it would have been tempting to yell out to her to come & help instead of standing there recording. 😏

Electricity is your friend.

How many strands do you have? Some cattle will respect one. Some need more for proper grounding when they touch. Do you know which one animal was your perpetrator? My father in law talks about a cow sitting on the fence to let the rest out. She always stayed in. There are also jumpers and pushers, going-underneathers, and going inbetweeners. Then there are just some that recognize a good thing when they see it (a downed fence).

We have had our share of "fun" times too with a repeat offender (a llama) who would take the horse out for a road trip at times. The llama also slowed down the school bus when it went past one morning. 🙄 Certain cows got out at times here too...farm life.

I am also glad that you found everyone. This is the beginning of many stories to follow.

You are officially a farmer. Welcome!😄

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@Megan Venturella As @LaurieLovesLearning said, welcome to being a farmer. There are many times living in the country or small town you do not need to be a farmer to have a "new friend" show up.

And as an animal owner I am just happy to have them return home in one piece if they get out. You have a new story to add to your homestead adventures!