Dried seed pods and cutting gardens

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Vegetables

I have a small cutting garden that I use mainly for family and myself but I may enlarge it. I have had more calls for bouquets but its like everything else. Do I have time and what all will it benefit? Bouquets bring in people and sales at a farmers market. Everyone wants to look at the pretty colors and ask questions.

And if you're a crafter you have many options for crafting with them and drying them.

One thing I had considered if I did bouquets was to incorporate more edible flowers and veggies in them. Its a perfect tool for teaching in a way that is fun and not obvious.

One thing I really like in bouquets are adding dried seed pods. I also grow seed pods to help feed the birds later on in the winter.

The one thing I love about gardening is there are so many different avenues you can take, so many ways to make it fun and different.

Comments

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I used to run a CSA program and I would add flowers to the salad mixes. People loved it and at the farmer's market it got attention. We didn't grow enough for bouquets, mostly just herbal type flowers. Have fun with it!

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

One of the ponds on my place is too shallow to be much more than a frog pond, so I encouraged the cattails and native water lilies to grow there--cattails for their many uses, water lilies for their beauty. Then I discovered the water lily seed pods are really cool in dried flower arrangements. I began encouraging other wild plants that worked well in wreaths and dried flower bouquets to grow around the pond, and that area has become my main source for fall and winter decorating. I've never sold any of my wreaths or bouquets, but my friends love them as gifts, and often start gently reminding me about them in early autumn, asking whether I've started making any, and hinting about size, color and such....

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@MaryRowe Have you eaten cattails? I tried them for the first time this last year. They are definitely on my foraging list now.

Ponds are such a great place for edibles and fun entertaining plants to dry and create with.

My one friends has too many water lilies. I may have to go harvest and rehome a few. I never thought about them. Thanks for the heads up

• MaryRowe

@Denise Grant Yep, cattails are one of my favorite wild plant foods. That's why I got them stared in that pond--to have a reliable, clean supply. I love the roots and new shoots as vegetables. Keep intending to try flour from the roots or seeds, but never have yet. Tried eating the young catkins like asparagus once, but wasn't that impressed--would rather have them mature for dried arrangements. Have also used the fluff for tender, and made baskets and mats from the leaves, Just generally love cattails.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@MaryRowe LOL, you use them like I do. So many uses plus it cleans water so its a big plus here. The cattail can be used like corn too when its young. I tried it once. Its ok but if I want corn, I'll grow corn.

I have made mats, then I painted on them. Unique look. I also tried baskets.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe I didn't realize you could do so much with cattails. I've only recently heard about them as a foraged food. Amazing all their uses. 😊

@Denise Grant All the things you are talking about that you've done/are doing is exactly what I want to do when I get my property. Who knew we were such kindred spirits. 😍

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Herbs make a lovely addition to cut flowers. Oregano and various basils bring a fullness and a wonderful scent.

What dried seed pods do you use?

• MaryRowe

One of my favorite garden seed pods for crafts is okra--I always let several plants go to seed to save the seed, but I save some seed pods whole, and some after they split open for crafts, Saw some being sold in a craft shop in the city for too much once, because people didn't know what they were....

I have a few sweet gum trees on my place, and their seed pods are great for crafts as well.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I also use okra pods. They make amazing crafts. decorations for wreaths and look great glued to a stick.

I made christmas ornaments from them one year

• Monek Marie

And another list and design ideas for a small cutting garden.

I love flowers and to be able to have some on hand and create your own bouquet or quick gift for a friend or visitor is cool.

But this year I have expanded to be able to sell flowers.

• omi
    omi Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody: new here, long time gardner @MaryRowe great way to work with nature and use your resources wisely. I've always wanted to try Cattails myself. @Monek Marie thank you for the post. I have a space a garden in a community garden that bordered by two streets that have become very busy so we're going to stop planting vegetables next to the street and I think cutting Gardens would be really good Edition thanks for those lists.

• Monek Marie

Welcome to TGN @omi ! Check out our rules and regulations for the forum https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/841998/please-read-forum-rules#latest

And we have area where you can introduce yourself according to your location. You might find a neighbor on here!

Yes a cutting garden would be a nice addition to a community garden. And if you mix a few edible flowers in the plantings that would be fun and great for an educational space.

How big is the community garden?

Cattails are delicious and just a fun plant.

I'm planning a cutting garden too, this year.

So yes thank you @Monek Marie for those lists and design helps.😊

• Monek Marie

Is your cutting garden for your family, sales or crafting?

I mix in herbs for filler and also for making edible floral arrangements. I find the herbs help with insect issues too

I would like to eventually be able to sell. But for now, it's for me.

I also want to do edible arrangements/wreaths. I will remember about adding the herbs to help with insects thanks. 😊

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I grow edible flowers and am going to try a cutting garden this year so I can have more flowers inside. At the farmer's market I go to the organic farms all have flower bouquets for sale. They aren't cheap and I'm amazed at how many people purchase them.

• Monek Marie

@annbeck62 flower arrangement around her have gone sky high! I went to order flower for my cousins birthday and she will get candy instead.

I have flowers in my house almost all the time. Right now I buy the cheap Aldis and grocery store bouquets. They can last for 2 weeks so for us and the enjoyment they add to the house, its worth it.

I will be selling flowers this year, both regular bouquets and edible bouquets. What does not sell will be dried for crafting.

A cutting garden for yourself does not need to be big. Often times years ago they were just put in a spare part of the regular garden.

• Monek Marie

Its amazing what value growing herbs near your flower and veggies add to you space. They bring in pollinators and help with many disease issues.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

There's a farmer here in my town who offers a flower CSA -- you get a bouquet a week for 15 weeks, and she charges $300. I think her work is entirely worth it, but that's a little more than I can justify spending on floral arrangements right now. However, I do love to have cut flowers around, so I'm considering planting a cutting garden instead ... if I can just keep the chickens out of it!!!

• Monek Marie

@Merin Porter A flower CSA would be nice but it would not work here, unless it was edible. I have thought about doing a small CSA and occasionally throwing in a bouquet.

Some people have a pick your own bouquets here and they so well. Bouquets also do good at the farmers market but they have a huge price range. Our area is so poor you have to justify everything but bouquets add joy and color ot your life so I think they are important.

You would love a cutting garden. I mix edibles and herbs in too and its so nice and has so many uses. Bouquets, crafting, edibles, dye materials, chicken food (hopefully later )

And yes, keeping chickens out could be challenging!~

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I totally agree that flower bouquets are a worthwhile addition to life in general! What flowers do you grow in your cutting garden, besides the herbs? Are they mostly annuals, or have you found some perennials you like, too?