Funny Farm Life Stories & Funny Stories

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was talk back a few weeks ago of a book for funny stories of farm life. I do plan on doing one myself sometime but I also asked some of the admins about the possibility of having a "funny Stories" book here with submissions from everyone here who would like to participate. Most of us have stories or know a neighbor that does. The administration board talked about such a project and felt it would be beneficial to all of us.

With@Marjory Wildcraft's book being released in May and gardens starting up for most people getting a book done now would be difficult so sometime in the fall to work on a project would be better.

But starting to collect stories now would help us get started on a book. So if you have a story, please post it in this thread.

Any story put in a book would need permission from each person, a disclaimer of no remuneration for the stories and it might be wise to change names of people within the stories. As time comes closer to working on the book we could decide on a special discount for those who contributed or helped with getting the book assembled.

So share you "funny Story" below . Lets try to keep this post theme to just stories. If you have a comment or suggestion please comment to me @Denise Grant

Also, to help you find this thread later I used a tag of funny stories. Use it in search and you should find the post. Have a great day all!~

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @Denise Grant I love this idea! Yes, let's get started on it now as getting a book together takes way longer than you think.... believe me I know. LOL

I think it would be best to self-publish it. Faster and more control. More fun!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Hmm... so long as it isn't like when Kramer sold his stories to J. Peterman on Seinfeld... well, not surprisingly... I may have a few... Are you looking for funny farm stories or just funny stories in genera?

• Monek Marie

@judsoncarroll4 Either funny farm or funny stories. If we want we can divide a book or make two

And I agree @Marjory Wildcraft self- publishing would be best. I just want this to be a fun adventure for all of is

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

This one is short.

"It was our first big snow of the year. Because I go out to the coop 2 or 3 times a day I had quickly worn a narrow path in the frozen snow On one of these trips I was remembering a previous trip when I had stumbled and fell into the snow! "I won't let that happen this time!" I told myself. Well, that as far as it went. I got all the way to the gate and "KERPLUNK!" down I went! "No one saw that" I quickly thought. Well ya no one, except for the 15 chickens staring at you!!!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 that is so funny!

• Monek Marie

My parents rented our pasture out when I lived up on "the hill" One spring the farmer came by after he put the cows in and told us it would be best not to be in the field while he had the bull in there - the bull had an attitude. And yes, he did! I was about 10 at that time.

I would go in to the barn, on the top floor, (It had three floors). I would spy on that bull and no matter how careful I was he knew I was there. I would move from window to window, crawling on the floor so he would not see me, but he would be bellering as loud as he could at the window I was by.

Well, he was in my field and I had limited us of it now so I found out if I sang to him , it really made him mad! So I would go out and sing at the top on my lungs just to tick him off so he would head up in to the trees.

I learned two valuable lessons. How to tick off a bull safely and that I would never be in the top 10 if my singing drove a bull mad.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

I had a similar experience with goats! Its why I love rabbits. Well, my experience wasn't that bad... but dang goats are so talented at breaking out and causing trouble. It takes a special person to be a goat herd. Great story.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Thanks @COWLOVINGIRL and @Marjory Wildcraft Writing that was fun and I discovered that it is much harder to write dialect than to speak it! I grew up with a lot of characters. We had goats, too. I was very into kung fu in my teens and went on to study tai chi, chi gong, etc. I found working with the goat herd to be extremely good practice at warding off, blocking and deflecting blows. It would drive the young billy goats nuts that they couldn't but me squarely! I enjoyed having goats; I think of them as dogs with hooves. I'm looking forward to getting some milk goats soon.

• Monek Marie

Move over Elmer fudd

How many people remember the cartoon of Elmer Fudd and usually Bugs Bunny? I always remember this comical hunter. I had an Elmer Fudd moment one day.

I had a horrible ground hog issue one year. They were destroying crops in a half an hour time span and even out witted me in fencing a garden. So it was all out war.

My dog Bear liked to chase them away. One day when we had worked the back garden the better part of the day when Bear spotted a ground hog . He took off running and I was sure he would get it. Well, the ground hog ran up a tree! I was shocked they climbed but here is the dog barking his head off and I knew he would stay there for hours. I was tired after a long day in the sun and wanted to get back to the house for a cool drink. Bear would stay by the tree until the ground hog came down so I went and got a gun.

As I round the barn the dog sees me and I am sure he smiled. Denise is back to help me out. The aim I had was not good. I did not want anything to bounce back on the dog and the sun was in my eyes. I had limited places to stand as we were by a small creek.

So standing in a weird contorted stance and partial sun in my eyes I took a shot. I missed but the kickback knocked me off my feet and I found myself looking at blue sky and soft drifting clouds. Embarrassed, I sat up and looked at the tree. The ground hog was still there. I looked at the dog and I could tell he thought I was a nut. I get up as fast as I can and look around to see if anyone was watching. Of course not, I'm in my back 40 with no neighbors for 1/2 a mile.

Time was standing still. I looked at the dog then we both heard a thunk. The ground hog fell out of the tree and laid there. Did I hit it? NO. The dog took off to the tree and the ground hog got up and bolted into the field of hay. Several minutes later the dog came out of the field. The ground hog got away and the dog gave me one very dirty look. I know he was telling me - never help me again!

• Monek Marie

I will be moving stories over to this thread to help prepare a book as a TGN project (to be done later this year after Marjories book is out.)

Please add more stories here if you have one you want to share.

As I add stories from other meber I will be contacting them to ask if they want their stories in a book.

Small little one paragraph stories are fine too.

Thanks, Denise