Country Life UK asks about the intelligence of cows

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,500 admin

An interesting article.

They certainly do have personalities & long memories & can do amazing things at times. Not always what you want them to do, however.

Some can be stupid. We've had one of those & also another that was just enough of a cross between stupid & smart that she was potentially dangerous. She would see a duckling, and run across the pasture to step right on top of it, killing it. She did this consistently. She ended up in the freezer.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents rented our pasture out when I lived up on "the hill" One spring the farmer came by after he put the cows in and told us it would be best not to be in the field while he had the bull in there - the bull had an attitude. And yes, he did! I was about 10 at that time.

I would go in to the barn, on the top floor, (It had three floors). I would spy on that bull and no matter how careful I was he knew I was there. I would move from window to window, crawling on the floor so he would not see me, but he would be bellering as loud as he could at the window I was by.

Well, he was in my field and I had limited us of it now so I found out if I sang to him , it really made him mad! So I would go out and sing at the top on my lungs just to tick him off so he would head up in to the trees.

I learned two valuable lessons. How to tick off a bull safely and that I would never be in the top 10 if my singing drove a bull mad.

@RustBeltCowgirl Great site and a great question. Yes, some cows are intelligent and some are dumb - just like other animals. One thing I have noticed about cows - they always know where a fence is weak or needs repaired!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Another story that needs to go in the book.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Copied and added to stories thread!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,500 admin

Well. I just finished watching a video of a cow taking the insulated handle of an electric fence and opening the high tension wire. It took it with a slobbery tongue/mouth and then clamped down on it, purposely unhooking it with the right movement. It knew what it was doing. It did it not just with the top one, but also the bottom too! 😳 We're glad it isn't our cow. 🤣

I am not sure what social media my husband saw it on, but it had a TicTok tag on it with the originator of the video @ jen_highlandfarm (no spaces). I include this info in case anyone wants to (or can...I don't know how the site works) look it up. The cows looked like black beef cows.

I wonder how they actually caught on to what was happening so that they could catch that on video?

• I firmly believe that as time goes on we will learn that animals are so much smarter than most give them credit for. I'm continually amazed by both domestic and wild animals. I certainly don't feel bad at all by talking to them as if they were a person.