What is a Walipini?

Comments

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I need a new greenhouse!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

How awesome @LaurieLovesLearning ! I love the idea of these and have thought about them for years. Maybe next year will be the year we build it.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I would love to have a walipini. In my area it makes so much sense. I have all the sloped areas that would make it easy to create one - if the sun angle was correct! One might possibly work once the barn area is cleared up

These are great for areas where greenhouses are frowned upon.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

@Denise Grant Who frowns on greenhouses? I have never heard of that before. Even in big cities here, people are able to put up greenhouses on small lots.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@torey Our area, even though its rural has issues with greenhouses. The list of reasons is somewhere between comical and insulting. I managed to get mine up so far without a problem but I somewhat hid them.

If I could slip the walipini is without them knowing what it was I would be ok, if they knew I would have zoning costs that would be unbelievable and probably a year long battle for approval. ( I'll probably try it anyways ;) )

I live on a sloped (terraced in places) piece of property. If the slopes were in a different direction a walipini would so easy to get in

The biggest issue I see with the walipini here is that being set inground they would want permits for that then inspections. But there are ways to get around that with wording ;)

• That is so awesome!

• @Denise Grant I would go with "better ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" that is out ride ridiculous

• Monek Marie

@Jens In my county there is no forgiveness. You get fined and have to tear it down.

I have learned to research like crazy then ask my questions in such a way they get approved or I hear" That's a grey area." If I hear that I run home and do it because it did not fit in any area and they did not say permit needed ;)

I tore out a stairway out of our hillside but took photos before I did. I asked if I had to have a permit for stairs. If they are over 4 foot rise you do. So I asked if I had had them there before if I could put them back in, "Well if you can prove you did I guess you can" I also asked if I put in a 3 steps rise then had a level area and another 3 foot step rise if that needed a permit. "Well, I guess that would work"

I could also put in a stone stepway path with no permit.

I'm all about safety but I also don't like paperwork and extra costs

• @Denise Grant 😂😂😂 OK beat them with their own rules is a game I fully approve. 😉

• Monek Marie

@Jens The biggest problem with a walipini here would be I would probably need a dirt removal permit and and retaining wall permit. I think I figured out how to get around the removal permit and I have two ideas for it not being called a retaining wall on the north side. More research!~