Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

New FDA Rule threatening small farms? — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

New FDA Rule threatening small farms?

monica197monica197 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 9 in Other News

Comments

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9

New rules are constantly on the dockets to be voted on, many aimed against small farmers and backyard gardens. The reasoning they say is to prevent food contamination and poisoning but if you look at the records its the big business that seem to have issues not the small farmer. I have never heard of one farmer having a poisoning issue with a crop locally but we have very rigid rules here now. And fees to go along with them.

Most big business would like to see the small farmer and backyard gardener put out of business. That is one reason I push so for everyone to have a backyard garden. It's our right.

You also need to keep an eye on what is being voted on in your state. I think there are two states that you are not supposed to have backyard gardens any more and I know at one time Pa had a no gardening regulation they were trying to slide in on a big bill they were pushing.

Last year I had the conservation dept send me an email requesting, in a very firm tone, that I take a class on backyard chickens and that I have my land inspected for how I dispose and take care of my manure. I had to list my animals, their weight and estimate how much manure they produced. I felt very threatened by the tone of the email and they mentioned fines. I called them and the lady knew me. The law was for over 3000 chickens which she knew I did not come close to. I told her if I was required to have my privacy violated that I would butcher all of my animals tomorrow and send photos. This was a watered down version of what I said. I did get an apology and told I did not have to do this.

I will go check out this rule. Thanks for the heads up and we do have to keep out ears open for rules they try to slide in that cost us money or make farming and gardening a lot more work - regulation and paperwork wise.

• karenjanickikarenjanicki Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭

Ugh. Who are they kidding? It's the huge factory farms where most issues comes from. They are trying to strip us of our rights and ability to provide for ourselves using the excuse of keeping us safe. Seems like the constant rallying cry these days.

• Michelle DMichelle D Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

It seems more and more like the concern is control and power than keeping us safe.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,771 admin

@Michelle D But people like hearing that, so that's the phrase they are using more for everything. If you repeat it often enough & have established yourself as the authority, most people will never question it. It sounds good, caring and comfortable.

I was told by some folks who grew up in & then moved here from Germany that that is the phrase that Hitler's government used. Obviously it worked then. People are no different today. And...nobody learns from history anymore because it either is revised or never taught. If you think of kids in history class as well...who really paid much attention? Most kids in my class didn't care.

• DurwardPlessDurwardPless Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

It is hard to imagine that a state can make outlaws of someone having backyard gardens.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing we can all do is call our congress people after we have a well written, solid and factual wording about the facts..and that is that we have the right and the obligation to feed ourselves and our children and if and when possible also help each other...not to mention that we do not use harsh chemicals like the govt does.......now you want to hear the sickening part??????????

This came out about 2 weeks ago..........Every bit of our farmland has been bought up......by...wait for it...Bill Gates. Now I am quite sure that if that shill has the right to farm his land, then we have the right to farm ours every bit as much........wait til you see what he plans on growing...

One of the reason that I recognize the nazi antics is because my dad fought in WWll and along with many others who had to kill to live and to save our country from being invaded and worse..

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,403 admin

Well... that is not good!

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,771 admin

Okay...let's get this conversation back from the Bill Gates black hole to what a person can do in and from their immediate area if they are truly concerned.

@silvertipgrizz had some level headed and on the ground advice of how to deal with these types of situations at the beginning of her post when she stated this:

"The best thing we can all do is call our congress people after we have a well written, solid and factual wording about the facts..and that is that we have the right and the obligation to feed ourselves"

...this & continue to teach others in your area how to grow & preserve their own food. Give them the strength & power of knowledge & practical skills. Don't forget about that.

Let's bring this conversation back to those thoughts. That should be your focus without the surrounding noise (Bill Gates, etc.). I think it is wise to focus on what you can actually do to make a difference instead of getting caught up in hype (true or not). Don't get distracted with videos.

If you write your Congress men or women, make sure that you gather facts that can't be construed as conspiracy theory based. You will get nowhere if you use anything or any wording hinting at that as a source. You need facts, you need a well thought out and well written, well supported letter. If you have many people who will write in, that adds more power to your words. Keep it focused, to the point, and without rabbit trails.

Maybe someone here has done just such a thing and maybe they can chime in on this conversation.

Which brings me to this...

MOD HAT ON:

We, as admin & mods, are being very careful with all political-themed postings right now. I need to remind all members in this conversation to be mindful of this moving on. If we feel the need to shut this conversation down we will, since

1. the important news/information was shared initially within the first post.

2. Then, there was a call to action & a suggestion of what can be done was also given shortly afterward.

I see this conversation as being complete, considering.

3. Now it is up to members to take appropriate and wise action, which shouldn't require further posts here unless someone has specific experiential advice on how to put an effective letter together in cases like this.

Just a heads up.

MOD HAT OFF.

• Suburban PioneerSuburban Pioneer Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, Monica! I just submitted my comment, and NOT in favor! I will take the suggestion of others and call my cogresspeople, as well. Its' quite obvious that the issue isn't to protect the people, but to give the APPEARANCE of protection while letting Big Ag and Gates, etc. get away with keeping our food supply at risk.