Pine needle tea

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ashley has a really good article about pines and pine needle tea.

I didn't know that the Scandinavians use pine bark flour.

Comments

• Kristina Lindemann
    Kristina Lindemann Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Thank you!

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I love pine needle tea! My family thinks I am crazy and refuse to try it... A little splash of fresh lemon adds a nice little yum!!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl I appreaciate this post..Every time I think to research this topic more in depth I get caught up in some other task I'm behind in lol....My main question is always...which pine tree/s can we use for this....

I'm anxious to read your article and am going back to one of my fav herbalists for his vid and will post that shortly...He does a very good vid on this topic..

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I like the idea in this article of adding pine needles to make a chai. I would also add more than what is suggested in the recipe as the flavour will get lost.

@silvertipgrizz I would use any pine needles with the exception of Ponderosa (Yellow) Pine. Personally, I would use those as well but there are cautions out there suggesting possible toxicity. Definitely should be avoided during pregnancy. I would avoid all of the confers during pregnancy unless discussed with your practitioner. I saw a caution including Lodgepole Pine which is very common in my area and I have made tea from it many times. I think that might have been an error. Definitely don't use Norfolk Island Pine.

There may be confusion in the species because not all Pinaceae are Pinus species. In addition to Pinus (Pines), the Pinaceae family includes: Picea (Spruce), Abies (Fir), Tsuga (Hemlock), Larix (Larches) and Pseudotsuga (Douglas Fir). I have never had Larch tea or Hemlock. But the others are all very good.

A lot of the articles written on eating Pines include a caution on Yew (Taxus species), but it is actually a member of the Taxaceae family and the cautions on it are to be heeded. It is very toxic. As with anything, make sure of your identification. First time foragers should go out with someone knowledgeable for the first few times.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz She addresses your question in the section listed as Identifying Conifers.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl After 2 hours watching pine needle stuff I still couldn't find my fav but just now I found a new fav I think you already know of....She doesn't make tea here but still interesting info..maybe she makes some in another vid..

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz amazing how many things you can use white pine for.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@RustBeltCowgirl Oh, I love pine needles. I make pine needle salt and use it as spice or for inhalations. I make cleaning liquid for kitchen and bathroom: apple vinegar + pine needles; I add them to my incense mix. I have not tried pine needle tea, but it is a good inspiration to try. Thank you for a good article.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Pine needle tea can be delicious, if you add a tad of honey and lemon. The branches, added to a warm bath, are very relaxing and help me to breathe easier.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Bumping up. It's that time of year.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I wild harvest the needles and find the tea to be surprisingly pleasant with citrus notes.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a foraging class at my local nature center a few years back. The teacher recommended spruce tea over pine tea, so I've stuck with that and enjoyed it. But my husband hates the scent, and complains every time he walks into the kitchen after I steep it.

Evidently some people like pine tea, so I'll have to give that a try.