Free seed project

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have participated in this for several years. If this topic is not ok, please remove.

I grow food for the community and food pantries. I also teach classes and help new gardeners set up a garden for easy gardening, less weeding in smaller spaces. I have also helped people get gardens in towns where sometimes they have regulations.

Here's an offer from the "Free Seeds Project" If your interested it fills up fast!!!!!

What I like about this too is there is a lot of information on the seeds. Its a great place to learn

Comments

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for sharing this. I signed up!

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@lewis.mary.e Fantastic!~

This project gave me so much joy last year! And I learned new things. I just love to learn!

I set up mini demo gardens to teach and let people harvest. This year I hope to get two more mini gardens set up, one at a school and one at a community garden.

I don't remember how many people I helped with gardens last year but two families stick out. They learned to love gardening and the joy on their faces when they were harvesting veggies was priceless. One was my niece and gardening changed her life. She is now studying herbalism.

I added cherry tomatoes to my plantings. People and particularly children love them

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this. I want to get involved too!

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

We want to give produce to our local food shelf this year, so the more we plant the more we can share. :)

• Monek Marie

@lewis.mary.e I have contacted several food shelters and plan to donate. I also am starting more seeds and plan to give away seedling to one food shelter and a packaged garden seed packet to others.

The more people we get eating local fresh food or growing their own is a huge plus!~

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
    edited February 2021

@Denise Grant This is a wonderful project. There are no issues with posting this here! 🌱

@Marjory Wildcraft Have you heard of this project? The organizer could be a great guest on a future Summit, considering what their mission is.

• Monek Marie

@LaurieLovesLearning I did not think there would be, but its best to practice safety ;)

It is an amazing project, rewarding and you learn so much. I love their bee polinator mix. It was a huge hit in the gardens I set up

The herbal mix is new this year and I am excited about it

• Monek Marie

What I love about this project is you learn so much from it. Their site has tips and their page shares stories. Its more than about seeds in the mail (which is wonderful!). Its a project that can change your life and grows with you and in your communities.

• Monek Marie

I'm also going to add nasturtiums to my mini gardens. The color will be inviting plus it gives you another thing to teach about, edible flowers and herbal uses.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I'm going to check this out ❤

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

What a great resource!

• Monek Marie

@Silkiemamuska I have really learned a lot from this site and the seeds were fun and an adventure. There are a few new seed varieties the have this year and they look like something I should be growing