Kombucha

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

So, I started making kombucha this spring and then took a break this fall. I'll admit I didn't really store my scoby very well at all, I had it in our porch in a jar, in a dark place. Recently when I decide to try it again, I though I might have to buy a new scoby, but I decided to try and see if it was still good. Everything seemed to be going fine until I stared to notice some scummy stuff that gets on the neck of the jar and flakes of something that sit on the top if the kombucha tea. Oh, and my scoby isn't really growing. Is this okay? Do I need to buy a new scoby, or maybe just give it some more time? Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• COWLOVINGIRL

My scoby is looking better! I think it just needed more time!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been making komubcha for a couple years now. I hope your scoby is okay b/c they're expensive to buy. If not I hope you have a friend who can give you one. Maybe let it do it's thing for a week and then make new tea for it so it can grow more.

• COWLOVINGIRL

Ya, that's what I've been doing and it seems to be helping! I was really scared there for awhile!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

When you say scoby, are you referring to the the cellulose fiber pad that forms at the top of the jar right above the liquid? The good thing is, you don't need that cellulose to start a new batch of kombucha! The actual scoby (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) is prolific & living in the liquid. I've made kombucha for years and never save my scoby to start a new batch (just blend into smoothies or make "leather" with it). I just use a cup of the finished kombucha as a starter for the next batch! It's all you need to add to your sweet tea to make kombucha! If you really do want a new cellulose pad though, instead of buying one, a cheaper alternative would be to buy a bottle of unpasteurized unflavored kombucha (like GT's) and just pour 1/2 cup of that into some sweet black or green tea. Let it sit in your cupboard for a couple weeks and it will grow a scoby!

• kbmbillups1

@happy-trails Every year for Christmas I make a fermented apple cider that way. I just had a tablespoon of first ferment kombucha give it a shake and let it sit for a couple weeks. It turns out great!! I've use a scoby for my kombucha though b/c I think it would take too long to ferment without it since I make them every week. I do have small scobys that form in my 2nd ferment kombuchas sometimes which my husband hates. 😀

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Oh... well, this is all good advice. It is all really simple. But, I'll send anyone a scoby for gas and packaging plus shipping... so like the $5 range

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I think growing a SCOBY is definitely the thrifty way to go. And easy. That's news to me that you don't have to use the pad to start a new batch of bucha- only bucha! I'm gonna try that now. And yes fruit leather made with the SCOBY pad is delicious!

• happy-trails

Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious and I may try that too now! Do you add the one tablespoon to one gallon of cider? Does it turn out like a fizzy probiotic apple drink, or is it a higher alcohol content?

Maybe you can experiment with just one small jar without the cellulose "scoby" sometime, for the first ferment... I was surprised the first time I tried it! It doesn't take any extra time at all to ferment, and it will grow a new scoby after 10-14 days. I do continuous brew and make 2 gallons at a time. And - hahaha!... about your husband and the baby scoby pads...!!! My husband doesn't like it either! He gets grossed out by it, but I personally love gulping them down and the gooey sensation in my throat... haha. =)

• kbmbillups1

@happy-trails Yes I just add a tablespoon to one of those large gallon jars from Kroger and let it sit. It's nice a bubbly like kombucha. I check to make sure the cap hasn't popped up as if it's not been opened yet and burp it if it is. I've had several kombuchas in those pop up lid bottles explode so I try to be careful these days! It's really good and doesn't last long! Gone before Christmas dinner is over!

I have accidentally swallowed a few of those tiny scobys! Not my favorite thing to swallow!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@happy-trails Wow! That is cool! I am going to try that when this batch is done because I want to make several gallons of kombucha and I only currently have one scoby. Thank you!

• happy-trails

Thank you for the recipe, I am positive I will love it because apple and watermelon are my favorite kombucha flavors! I know what you're saying about the explosions... after the first and only time it happened to me, I won't let it happen again... I ruined some nice bottles, and glass was everywhere! It happened in the middle of the night, waking me and my husband, and he ran downstairs to confront the 'intruder!' It sounded like a gunshot. Terrifying! =)

• happy-trails

Oh, I'm glad it turned out helpful for you... you'll love it! No waiting for another one to grow. =)

• kbmbillups1

@happy-trails We had them explode in the middle of the night too! We thought the same thing!

I'd given my in laws a couple bottles of kombucha and they'd set them down and forgotten about them. They had a middle of the night explosion too! Funny thing is they have one of those alarm systems that talks. They got a serious scare with the voice yelling - intruder, intruder - the police have been called! Then later they got a good laugh about it once they figured out what had happened & cleaned up the mess!

• happy-trails

WOW, I love your story! That is hilarious...your kombucha gave them quite a memory... haha! =)

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I use swing top beer bottles they work great and so far (fingers crossed) no explosions.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Can I use a bottle of store bought kombucha to make my own (I have a ginger lemonade one from Costco)? Also does anyone have a good recipes?

• kbmbillups1

@Cornelius Yes, but you need non flavored if you're going to second ferment - just plain kombucha tea. I have a bunch of scobys in my scoby hotel and if I'm going to make a lot of kombucha for friends or family and I need extra kombucha tea and I didn't plan ahead and ferment extra I buy a GT's Original. Then I second ferment with fruit for different flavors.