Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Dog stories — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Dog stories

Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate and her wonderful story of Rex and how pets touch our lives and leave behind those amazing stories and a piece of their heart reminded me of all the past dogs we have had. So many dogs, but all leave a memory and some you could write books about.

I lost my Annie this fall. She developed Diabetes in early July and then it was one issue after another. She declined in health so fast. I am lucky to have a vet that uses herbal healing but she was old and her time was coming to an end. My goal was to keep her happy and do whatever had to be done when ever.

But in September I had to make an emergency run to Georgia to cover a family issue. My mom was going to my brothers and I had people and a back up (always a good idea) to take care of my animals. But there was Annie who needed extra care. She could not go to a kennel - it would break her heart and probably make her sicker. She could not go to my brothers with her issues, so she went to Georgia with me!

As far as I know, she was a rescue dog, she had never had a 17 hour trip in a car. I was going to stay over night and broke down the driving times so she could have a rest ever two to three hours but how she would handle it would be a surprise. My mom asked me what I would do if Annie did not do well, my response was I would deal with it then.

So at 7 pm we get in the car and we are off! Annie was so excited. I have not seen her so active and happy in a bit. I drove to 1 am with dog breaks and finally stopped at a hotel that allowed dogs. The next morning we were off at 7 am and Annie was still excited. She loved semis! She had to keep an eye on the traffic and never lost interest in what was going on.

The trip had its adventures. We had to pull over for bad weather and I got caught in a off ramp accident and we sat there for an hour. But we finally hit the Ga border.

Annie was going to stay at my cousins in a fence but it was not in good shape so she ended up with me at my other cousins. ( I am related to half of Ga)

But in all adventures there is always "a story". The GPS took me to the wrong address. I arrived at 5 am and took the dog for a walk. I left the cell phone in the car and locked it up. I got lost, had the wrong address so could not find the place or my car and was in a very bad part of town - a very bad part! After hours of going around in circles I found a church with a preacher and he called the police for me.

To make a long story short. Annie and I rode in a police car to look for my car (hoping it had not been stolen - yes it was that bad of a neighborhood.) By comparing my cousins address I wanted to where I was the police officer figured out where the car might be and we found it. I was so tired she lead my to my cousins and I followed.

I am probably one of the few people who's dog rode in a police car. The seat was a slippery hard plastic so its best not to have this adventure!

Annie also loved sidewalks, I took her out for a walk every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. And we were lucky and near a nursery so had all the pretty flowers and shrubs to look at.

I am glad I had this time with Annie, just the two of us. I am glad she saw new people and places. And I had to put her down for her own well being in October.

Comments

• Annie KateAnnie Kate Eastern Ontario, CanadaPosts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, what an awesome story, @Denise Grant. So sad that she had to be put down. You must miss her a lot.

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

She was developing too many health problems and part of diabetes is often they lose their sight and that was starting too. It was for the best but I still miss her. The last week of her life she had a car ride every day and even got to have treates she norally could not. She was a good dog and will always be missed.

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I raised seeing eyes dogs when I was in high school. It was part of a 4-H program.

I had a dog they named Lars, a black lab, arrived in June. As all puppies are, and particularly labs, he had a ton of energy and puppy silliness. He still had not calmed down that much in October. We had to go downtown for an appointment and no one would be home.

This time he could not go with us and we did not have a crate. The organization really did not want the dogs crated anyways. So we picked up anything we thought the dog would chew up and headed out.

Four hours later we returned. Lars greeted me at the door tail wagging and bouncing with happiness. I started laughing. On his face he had huge squash seeds. The only thing we had not picked up was a hubbard squash. You have to take an axe to them to break them open so it never entered our minds to pick it up.

Somehow Lars managed to chew in to it and then promptly run though out the entire house leaving squash pulp and seeds everywhere.

You could not be mad at a cute puppy with squash seeds stuck on his face, but it was not fun cleaning it up!