More housing ideas

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in a yurt (number 21) from September to November, in western Washington. It was surprisingly roomy, and had electricity and water to the kitchen. In moderate weather it was comfortable.

My issue was that even though it was outfitted with good solid doors and locks anyone with a pocketknife could cut through the side and easily break apart the wooden frame! The locals had chainsaws, so I did not always sleep well!

• Those look really good but a lot of them would not pass legal building codes or requirements over here.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Some really cool ideas. Thank you for the post. The igloo idea is intriguing!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Thanks for passing this along. It couldn't of come at a better time for us. We're going to be putting our house on the market the first of April. But with it being a sellers market currently we're not sure if we'll be able to find what we're looking for or anything even remotely close that would be in our price range. So we're trying to keep our options open as to what we can do. 😊

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Travel trailers/motor homes make for great mobile apartments. An older model is considerable cheaper than a tiny home. I've gone to the point of playing with 2 car garage plans and outfitting them with salvaged recreational vehicle appliances..

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Thanks for posting this link---It opened my mind to a lot of possible ideas! I would love to see some of these "in person"

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri I have thought many times about a yurt, but, I'm with you, I'm nervous about the "knife cutting through the side"!