Make Ice Cream in a Bag

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

(from my website many years ago)

We often refer to this area as NW PA’s Garden of Eden but with the snow piling up and wondering if we will loose power I find I have cabin fever. This is the time in life when I get in trouble.

So to take the edge off it’s time for a little fun. I’d like to share a project I have done in the past with my niece and nephews. Its called Ice Cream in a Bag.

Really, who could even turn down Ice Cream in the winter? Particularly if it’s homemade Ice Cream!

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

• 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup salt (Bigger granules work better. Kosher or rock salt works best, but table salt works fine.)
  • Ice cubes (enough to fill each gallon-size bag about half full)
  • 1 pint-size ziplock bag
  • 1 gallon-size ziplock bag

1. Combine the sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract in a pint-size bag and seal it tightly.

2. Place the salt and ice in the gallon-size bag, then place the sealed smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). Feel the small bag to determine when it’s done.

3. Take the smaller bag out of the larger one and add flavorings. Pureed fruit, nuts, chocolate syrup and fruit juices are just a few ideas that make great ice cream. If you want you can eat the ice cream right out of the bag. Kids love using the bag as a bowl and clean up is a breeze. Each bag makes one serving.

If your adventurous use snow instead of ice cubes, just watch out for the yellow snow.

My niece and nephews loved making ice cream like this. We would add frozen raspberries or blackberries that had been put away in the summer from the berry bushes out back. It brought back memories of hot summer days and the kids working (really playing) in the gardens.

Give this recipe a try. It’s easy and a fun project for kids of all ages. If you are one of those lucky few living in warm weather make two bags!

Comments

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds so good. Some of the best fun we had as a family was cranking the ice cream maker. The smallest ones started first, then as the cranking got harder, the cranker got bigger, until it ended with my Dad.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

Its those family moments and events that stay with us.

We used to make ice cream too and during maple syrup time you drizzled maple syrup on snow

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Great idea Denise! Do you have a recipe for dairy free ice cream?

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley , yes let me dig it out in a bit. The little chicken piglets have decided it time to eat and they do not take no for an answer.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021
  • frogvalley

Yes, @Denise Grant , macadamia and oat mostly.

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley here is a very basic recipe for a milk free ice cream. Its easily adjusted. You can put it in the freezer or use a ice cream maker

• 3 cups dairy-free milk
    • 1/2 cup of natural sweetener
    • Creative flavorings (to taste)
    • Add-ins of your choice

(now I want ice cream)

• frogvalley

Thank you so much Denise! It'll be nice to have something special waiting for my granddaughter with a very limited diet. How sweet you are to take the time to share this.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I think I will do this with my nieces and nephew this weekend. Its just fun to do these different things that they will remember later.

Let me know how the ice cream adventure goes. And how old is your Granddaughter?

• frogvalley
    edited February 2021

My 11 year old grandson had brain cancer two years back and is still receiving items from well wishers. While the sentiment is nice, things like this accumulate and over time and have to be organized, cleaned, and maintained. The same as for material goods for other children. Might I suggest at some point to switch to experiential gifts, such as ice cream making, to make it easier on the family.

He developed an appreciation for a few things early on, but then we all were spending too much time and money on the upkeep of "things." Parsing items was a necessity. The value of making ice cream would never be lost and forever appreciated.

My granddaughter is 4.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

This was a project I did with my high school chemistry class yearly, the "Freezing Point Depression" lab, and they always loved it. When I first did it, we used 1 pound and 3 pound coffee cans and rolled them outside to make the ice cream. Then coffee cans changed, so we began using the ziplock bags. The bags were not quite as fun as rolling the cans, but the end product was still wonderful!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had forgotten about this. Have not done it in years. Might have to give it a whirl on my day off. Don't have much for ice (off grid) but forcast is 12-18 inches of fresh snow tonight thru tomorrow.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@vickeym If you are getting that much fresh snow, make snow ice cream. :) I used to make it when my kids were little but haven't done so in awhile. Maybe next snow fall I will get ambitious.

• Monek Marie

Snow ice cream is delicious. Its a tradition in our family

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

torey That is what I was thinking too. Lol I'm off today so it is in my plans for tonight.