Mission Impossible: The Great Christmas Wrapping Paper Caper

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Housing

I moved my one rabbit pen last fall and I was in a hurry. In the back of my mind I heard, "When you rush you have issues later." This was going to be my redo it rabbit pen in the Spring so I just took a chance.

Last week I was looking and I noticed the door was not clearing the ground by much. This may be an issue but so far our winter has been mild so... This pen/shed does not have a back door, another no-no in design in my area.

Well two days ago we had freezing rain on top of our snow. Mind you we only have a few inches on the ground, but its enough to create problems. I went to feed my rabbits and the bottom door, which is chain link is frozen solid in to the ground. No matter how hard I beat on it, it was a no go. I thought about pouring hot water on the bottom fence door but that would just freeze later creating another issue.

I had hayed the pens well and topped off food more than normal the day before so I figured they could go one day.

Today I went out to try and fix the mess but short of destroying the pen I could not figure out a solution.

I went in the house to think and I had an idea.

The top of the rabbit enclosure is chain link fence covered with tarp to prevent wind, rain and snow issues but make it easy to give them fresh air if needed. The cages set in from the chain link about 8 inches. By lifting the tarp and using an empty christmas wrapping roll I could insert that in the chain link and in the rabbit pen by the rabbit dishes and fill them by pouring pellets in the top. It did not sound easy but It should be doable. The rabbit pens have a different wire so I had to figure out how to insert it there too. With a little ingenuity it worked! The rabbits were fed. Now to water them and try the same method. I only have three rabbits in the enclosure so the roll might last long enough to water then all using the same technique.

I am happy to say, they are fed, watered and happy.

Comments