I’m a little bit excited!

I’ve just received a couple of books in the post, that I ordered last week and very pleased with the contents. They should come in very handy. Folks on the forum use names of herbs/plants that I’ve never heard of but the Weed Forager’s Handbook has shed some light on that. Some refer to a plant called lambs quarters, I know it as Fat Hen. Wild cabbage, I know as mustard weed. Milk thistle, I know as variegated thistle. The need for Latin names are now important! Anyhow if anyone is interested I can post some info on wild plant foods of Australia.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

So many different names for things depending on where you are. Lambs quarters also goes by Pigweed in my area. I know Fat Hen is what it is called in Britain. I've seen it referred to as Goosefoot as well. So yes, the Latin is important.

But just when you think you've got it, the scientific community does some more DNA testing and now a plant may have a different Latin genus name or belong to an entirely different family. Very frustrating.

I would love to hear more about Australian edibles. I'm sure you will amaze us. I'm still amazed at the hot pink fruit on the Lilly-Pilly tree.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latin names are so important to help identify those plants that are in the same family but just a tiny bit different. Those differences can be a uge concern in an edible or herb.

What wonderful books!

And yes, it would be great to learn more about your native plants

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@jodienancarrow Please share. Now, if you can do a review of these and put that in our resources area, that would be great!

Cross post it in the Australia area too, please, as sounds very region specific in common terms.