Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Senna, A Laxative Herb And More — The Grow Network Community
People who love to eat are always the best people.

- Julia Child

Senna, A Laxative Herb And More

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 2,874 admin

Certainly a lot of different combinations in the old literature. If anyone still doubts the effectiveness of herbal medicines, they need only need to take a dose of Senna and see its immediate actions!

One thing I would note here is that Senna or any of the more powerful laxatives, including Cascara, should only be used short term. Taking them for extended periods can impair the normal peristaltic processes and exacerbate chronic conditions. Chronic constipation requires dietary changes as well, as Judson has pointed out with the descriptions of a traditional old English diet.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,469 admin

Yes, that is true. I was particularly interested to learn what went into the infamous "black drought"

The black draught is very interesting. I think it would be delicious but without the senna. :)

I have never heard of "black drop" before. I wouldn't think of vinegar as being a very good solvent for opium. Maybe the vinegar extracts a property that doesn't usually come out in alcohol but I can't think of what it would be. Its a tedious process to get enough sap to make even the tiniest amount of laudanum so I can't imagine wasting it in vinegar.

Well, I have my answer. Apparently, there are undesirable constituents in the raw opium that are extracted by alcohol but not vinegar. It is supposed to be much easier to take than laudanum; better taste and less "slowing" to the digestive tract.

But still not something that is very easy for a home herbalist to do, even if it wasn't illegal to do it. :)

• TaveTave Posts: 576 admin

Cool! PlantNet IDed a decorative tree in the median of the avenue near me as senna. I plan on getting seeds as soon as they're mature.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,469 admin

Oh, that is interesting! Used properly, the opium poppy is certainly a great boon to mankind.