Why an organic garden?
Today I was doing some reflecting and it occurred to me that my reasons for doing what I do now are far different from what they were when I started.
Years ago when I started my gardening journey I decided to do it organically. Back then I didn't know much, if anything, about gardening or the toxins that could potentially be in the food we eat. I have to admit that my decision was based on the fact that I couldn't afford to purchase pest deterrents or fertilizers. I had plenty of material that could easily be composted.
Fast forward to today, I have spent so much time learning, studying, and networking that I have a whole different perspective on life in general. I'm so glad that I made the decision to go organic even if I didn't realize the best reason at the time.
What reasons did you start organic gardening? Are they different today than they were the day you started? How has your journey helped you grow?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter