Flea collar warning

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited March 2021

Flea collars are not safe, that's for sure.

I think this brings up the issue of what alternatives are truly safe & effective?

We found that if any dogs we had had fleas, the food enabled it. Whenever we had food with grain in it, we had issues. I think it weakens the dog's system or makes them "taste better."

I know some use DE for fleas. There are other methods too. Maybe this is a good time to share better ways to deal with this problem.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to know more about people's experience with effective and safe methods of flea and parasite control in general.

When I adopted my three kitten last spring, they came with ear mites. The vet recommended a topical, Revolution Plus, selamectin and sarolaner solution. I used it once, reluctantly, because I knew we had to get rid of the ear mites ASAP. Fortunately it worked, with no apparent side effects. But I don't trust the topicals, even vet-recommended, over the long term.

Back in 2003 I lost two dear old cats within six months of each other, both to the same type of cancer. They were both in their early 20's, and elderly cats are prone to develop fatal ailments. But I couldn't help thinking that I had been using a vet-recommended topical for flea control for several years. The vet insisted the topical was safe and had nothing to do with the cancer, but for two cats, not related by blood, different breeds and background, to develop the same type of cancer at the same time still seems very suspicious to me.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@MaryRowe Have you heard of this: https://www.saferbrand.com/diatomaceous-earth ?

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I no longer feed my dogs or cats any "dog or cat food" that is processed. Even the better brands have too many chemicals in them that lead to cancer and diabetes.

I use Diatomaceous Earth for flea control and a mineral oil for ear mites

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I have used olive oil for ear mites in both cats & chickens.