Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Ginkgo, An Ancient Medicinal Herb — The Grow Network Community
People who love to eat are always the best people.

- Julia Child

Ginkgo, An Ancient Medicinal Herb

Comments

• MommaMoMommaMo Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

I recently read that a current study found the dosage to help the brain and memory is 240 mg/day. I usually take 120mg. Think I may have to increase my dosage.

• flowerpower *flowerpower * Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Now, I would like to assess brain function, try to improve it, then assess it again. I do not like to use the online computer based assessments because I value privacy. I have a book where the doctor uses a controversial method of correlating scans of brain areas and brain function and mood disorders. He also has a list of assessment questions. I like the DIY, people powered tests the best these days. I also cannot afford, nor am allowed to request from a doctor or lab, the detailed tests. I feel an emoticon coming on: 🙃

• toreytorey Posts: 2,874 admin

This is one that I use personally. I like the focus it gives me. I find that I don't need much. About .5 ml. The brand I am using says 1 ml contains 200 mg. I don't use it all the time, just when I need to focus.

• marjstrattonmarjstratton Posts: 335 ✭✭✭

Years ago, I was feeling like I needed help for concentration and memory. I took otc Ginko. Never really noticed and improvement. That was way before I knew anything about herbalism. It was probably weak or not properly prepared. May have to try it again from a reputable source.

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to attempt to grow a ginkgo tree as a houseplant. It would be decorative and useful.

• jolanta.wittibjolanta.wittib Posts: 493 admin

I use dried and powdered leaves from the tree in my garden. But not regularly. Only when I feel I need some food for my brain. It works! And 240 mg seems to be quite a lot. I just take half a tea spoon.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting.. I, fairly recently read a short article regarding ginko so am also happy to read yours to learn as much as I can about this herb that I only know is claimed to help brain smarts..

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,469 admin

Back when I was 18-19 and more adventurous, I used to smoke a mix of ginkgo and ma huang before exams... it definitely sharpened up the memory! I think both are better as tea, though.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4

When I was in college one of our classmates took it as a supplement/big Rx.. she is one of the earliest and short conversations I was exposed to regarding ginko and she said she clearly noticed more clear thinking when she took it...i didn't take it and we both graduated. Now that I'm older it would be nice to try it so some day I will poss buy some plant stock or .. ?? .. seeds or cuttings...?

Again thanks for posting this.