Learning by observing plants

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Plant ID

Very interesting pictures/article would not have known x for Judson's post on Ginko.

Looking closely at plants, we can learn a lot – about local habitat, climate, hydrology, wildlife, and soils. For example, succulent leaves indicate that a plant may thrive in sandy soil or endure periods of drought; thorns hint that the plant is selective about who gets access to its fruits; and dark red, bad-smelling flowers suggest that the plant relies on carrion- feeding insects to distribute its seeds.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited March 2021

Cool! I know @torey will enjoy this, too.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more the better 😁

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

The Doctrine of Signatures is a fascinating subject. It has led us to many amazing discoveries over the years.

I was not familiar with a couple of the plants listed in the article. Never seen Hepatica before but how liver like is that!!!

It helps to study the habitat of the plant as well as the look of it. For example, Osha usually grows at very high altitudes. So it is a remedy for altitude sickness and lung health. Similarly for lungwort (the lichen, not the garden plant); it will only grow where there is unpolluted air. So a remedy for people who have congested airways, COPD.

Boneset. Everyone should have this herb in their medicine cabinet right now. Great plant for colds, flus and any viral infection that resembles the flu.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I first discovered Boneset when I was making native floral arrangements. It flourishes on this property and as it likes compacted clay soil.

Boneset is also used for healing bones. I even use if for mild bone irritations.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a really cool article. Need to really read it when I have a bit more time. I also am unfamiliar with some of the plants mentioned.