Chickweed a delicious addition to salad and...
Chickweed, an excellent addition to Salad full of healthy surprises
I could not wait any longer. Even though the way to my greenhouse is deep in snow, I had to have a look what is there, inside and I was rewarded. I found a green carper of chickweed – a real treasure. I love it! It is such a useful plant. One can add a lot of cut chickweed to salad, it can be used for making spice butter, spice curd, it makes Omlett tastier. At this time of the year here, when one can get green plants only from the shop it is a real enrichment to ones kitchen. I like it. It tastes a bit like nuts or like peas.
And it is good for health! Chickweed has 10 times more Vitamin A and C than Salad. It is rich in Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium. 150 gramms of Chickweed covers the daily need of Iron, Potassium and Vitamin C. It also contains Saponins, this foaming ingreadient, helping by Bronchitis. Saponins also protect stomach lining and indestins lining.
In folk medicine it is also used externally for soothing pain of Rheuma, Arthritis and Gout: cut or beat the chickweed until juice comes out and put on the sore place. One can use chickweed for rubbing into the skin after moscito sting.
Chickweed multipies very quickly. That is the reason why it is not so popular among gardeners. One plant can spread up to 15 000 seeds. Thus, the more we eat out in spring, the fewer we will have to weed out during the summer, when out gardens will be full of other nice things to eat.
It is also a good green manure. But one has to dig it up before the seeds are developed.
I am already enjoying my chickweed in salad 😊
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter