Sweet potato slips

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about buying sweet potato slips just because its easier and I would have a choice of what variety I had, then I saw the price. I will start my own.

I have had them start to sprout before and have a few in my bag thinking about sprouting now.

Who has started sweet potato slips and do you have any suggestions?

I know sweet potatoes are considered a southern vegetable but there are varieties that are a shorter season and from what I have heard, once they start growing and get to mid point they actually do better up here in the north

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Denise, Thank you for posting this question, as I have the same one. I have not grown sweet potatoes and am looking for information on how to start them. Though, I am moving into the southern region and leaving the northern region for which you are speicifically requesting information for.

Hopefully, someone can help us out!

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@ltwickey As far as I know you cut them like you would a potato, with a couple of eyes. Some people put them just above water and let them form roots. others just plant them. But my concern was what kind of potato do I get in the store. A person might be able to tell from where they originally came from.

What are are you moving in to? I spend quite a bit of time in Georgia and will probably grow there sometime in the future

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never grown sweet potatoes, but a good friend that is also a gardener grows them every year. He can't seem to keep them under control. He always has far more than he can use. We have a local fruit and vegetable market that grows all there own produce. Everything they sell was grown right here in Southeast Michigan. They sell seed potatoes including sweet potatoes. My friend started his slips just like you would start a white potato except he left more "meat" on it so that the infant plant could have plenty to eat while starting. Once the slip started he put it in water in the window until it was big enough to go outside. Now all he does is leave them out on the kitchen counter and they start on there own. I'm not entirely sure if that is the proper way to do it but it works well for him. I know that it is helpful that the parent plants are very acclimated to our weather here. There were slips that he had purchased in the past from outside the state that were a complete failure.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I started my own sweet potato slips one year and am planning to again this year. I bought organic sweet potatoes and let them sprout then put the sprouts in water to root. This is what I used for guidance

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/gardening/how-to-plant-and-grow-sweet-potatoes

• Monek Marie

@annbeck62 Great link, thank you

I did not realize you could get that many slips off a potato.

Now to find organic sweet potatoes.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant the problem with non-organic grocery store potatoes is many times something is done to them to prevent them from sprouting to prolong shelf life. If you can't find organic maybe you can get regular at a farmer's market and just ask to make sure they haven't been altered in that way.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@annbeck62 We have a fancier upscale grocery store I only go to when I need something different. I love the store, just not the prices. But you can find anything in there. Its truly amazing.

Once I grow a larger part of my food I can justify going there with all the money I have saved. I am sure they will have organic sweet potatoes and will check this week

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

David the Good has a great new video up about an easy way to start sweet potato slips, which he says is better than the toothpicks-in-water method.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I love David the Good!