New Arrival to the Farm

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

We woke up this morning to a calf! So exciting and I am so grateful but I am also a nervous wreck as if it’s my baby. I didn’t expect to worry this much. I haven’t felt like this since my son was born! LOL

Mama is good, baby is good, but I am a wreck. 😅

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella Glad it's healthy.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

What you are feeling is normal no matter what baby arrives!

Wait until you hatch out chicks. That can be very many babies and you feel sad for each one that doesn't make it, but so responsible for each one that hatches.

If you need any advice, we will do our best to help.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella Congrats. She did good.🙂

• Megan Venturella

So... question. Some of this feels really confusing because I haven’t been through the cycle before. Do I need to milk mama before the milk comes in? I understand there’s only colostrum in there, but I thought maybe I needed to check to be sure the calf is nursing off all four quarters. The problem is the calf won’t be moving around much for another couple of days and the cow doesn’t want to leave her. I’ve tried to check her udder in the field but she’s not distracted by feed or in a stanchion and doesn’t welcome the attention. Once I can bring the cow to the barn and have the calf follow I think it’ll be easier to try milking, but it’s looking logistically pretty difficult right now. If I can wait a couple of days it’ll be easier. Maybe I’m making this more difficult than it is! I don’t know 🤷‍♀️

• LaurieLovesLearning

You need to get the cow in. The calf should be running already & moving lots. You should take the observe to make sure the calf has sucked. To know if it is getting anything, the mouth should have foamy milk when it is sucking. The tail will be swinging back and forth.

The calf may try all 4 quarters, but will most likely pick a favorite or two.

You may need to pick up the calf or haul it in on something. The cow will most certainly follow.

You can start to milk the cow once a day to ease some pressure. You could try a cup per teat.

Don't feed her any rich feed yet.

• Megan Venturella

@LaurieLovesLearning We have grain and alfalfa pellets. Are those considered rich feed? Maybe just alfalfa for now?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited March 2021

@Megan Venturella

Alfalfa is rich. We just fed natural grass or poorer hay (basic grasses).

Which grain do you have? Rolled barley (never fed whole...it bloats), is rich. Oats is not as much.

I will talk to my husband and get back to you.

• Megan Venturella

@LaurieLovesLearning All she has right now is hay. She is used to getting a little alfalfa. This is her first freshening, so I’m hoping it won’t be an issue, but all the reading I did On milk fever was pretty confusing. I’m grateful for all your help!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Megan Venturella The concern of milk fever is stressful. The chances of it does reduce daily as you will have read.

Don't be in a hurry and take things slow.

My husband said that he almost doubled what he took each day. You can go slower if you wish.

Give the cow 1/2 live ACV in her grain feed...we only gave a cup of feed at the start and very slowly increased it.

You can also give the ACV in her water. Wash the bag down with it as well. The ACV will both help prevent & also treat mastitis.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
    edited March 2021

@Megan Venturella congratulations. Firstly your heifer calved by herself, great news. The calf will do what it needs to do, don’t interfere too much. All that colostrum needs to be down the calf neck. More than likely the hormones will kick in and her milk will start to drip. If it’s cold and wet, move them indoors if you can. Milk fever is when the cows body is being taxed heavily, calving, making milk and dealing with the elements. It’s all about calcium and magnesium. Just feed her what you’ve been feeding her and if she’s warm and dry, you’re almost there. Hopefully she’s got rid of her afterbirth and eaten it. Just check there’s nothing hanging out her back end.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Great advice @jodienancarrow!

• Megan Venturella

@LaurieLovesLearning @jodienancarrow THANK YOU for clearing things up for me. I am so so grateful for the support and answers!! 💗

• JodieDownUnder

@Megan Venturella do you have an update/photo. All the best, nature is a wonderful thing.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I've not reared calves before but it sounds a lot like with the milk goats only downscaled in size lol. You are getting great information here!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful calf! Congratulations!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Mama and baby are both beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• Megan Venturella

@jodienancarrow I came out this morning to find mama and baby traipsing along together. Jess has picked a favorite spot now to put the calf to down while she grazes.

We brought Jess in to the milking parlor to try to get her used to the routine- this was yesterday. It didn’t go too badly we all survived and she was ok leaving the calf for a few minutes. It’s been 3 days now so I’m going to bring her in again this afternoon to attempt to milk just a little. 🤞 It was pretty funny yesterday, I was only aiming for a few squirts and it was super easy compared to a Nigerian Dwarf goat, but I had forgotten about that tail! Whew! SMACK! Lol

• JodieDownUnder

@Megan Venturella well done to all of you. The new calf (bull or heifer?) looks very happy and comfy and mamma happy and proud. Good job. Good to have some twine handy, so you can tie the tail up. Saves copping it in the face!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Megan Venturella Lovely pictures and a wonderful update!

That is the tiniest udder! We are used to super huge beach balls here. Those teats look good. Some have such small ones that they can be difficult to milk.

We couldn't always tie with twine. For one cow, we bought a huge hair clip (fondly known here everafter as a cow clip) and put that on the end of the twine. That seemed to work better for her.

@Megan Venturella If you use twine, make sure you use an easy to release slip knot to tie it onto the tail.