Another type of home: Quonset

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Building Projects

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

So many ideas for housing if you think outside the box.

I have a 30 by 50 garage that could be turned into a home. I have thought of that and using the house here as a learning center and place for guests to stay

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

We have a lot of Quonset huts in our area but mostly for barns, sheds, garages, etc.

I did see one built quite a while ago that was used as the base structure for an underground house. Just the ends were open but with the amount of windows put in, it didn't seem like it was underground. From what I understand it was very efficient. It was probably about the size of the one in this article.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Garages can make very nice little houses. I've looked at a 24X40 2 car garage with an additional covered carport off the one end. My thought was use the garage as a house and close in the carport as a 3 season room.

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl

Love the three season room idea.

The garage is further away from the road and more private. The back of ther house has a steep a bank but I figure a large deck on the back would be nice, and maybe wrap around on one side. The garage is 13 foot tall but the roof would make a strange low second floor but a loft mainly for reading or a storage area would work there.

My biggest issue with turning the garage in to a home is electrical. The person in charge of electrial zoning regulations is beyond strick and mean. The horror stories are amazing. But If I do solar some of those issues will not apply as much.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    edited March 2021

@Denise Grant This would make a nice little place.

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl It certainly would.