Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Valerian, Sedative, Stinky, Storied and More! — The Grow Network Community
People who love to eat are always the best people.

- Julia Child

Valerian, Sedative, Stinky, Storied and More!

Comments

• JennyTJennyT Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

Ohh yay, thanks @judsoncarroll4 for posting this! This is one of the herbs I planted in my new medicinal bed this past year. And you weren't kidding there is a ton of info you have. I'll need to look it over again when I won't get interrupted.😊

• toreytorey Posts: 2,874 admin

Great topic.

One of my favourite herbs. I know most people can't stand the smell but I have become accustomed to it and for me it seems to work well as a tea. Until you do become accustomed, you are probably better off taking this one as a tincture. I think the scent of the flowers is lovely.

Sedates without making one feel "dopey".

If I recall correctly 7Song uses valerian quite a bit in emergency first aid.

So to see if you are one of those few people that are affected in the opposite way to Valerian, take a small dose mid day (when you aren't planning to do much) and see how it makes you feel. That is better than trying it at night and finding out you are one of those few people and now you are awake all night.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,469 admin

It is one of my favorites, too. I just spotted a couple of packets of Coleus seeds at 2 for $1..... I wonder how those two herbs might combine?

• jolanta.wittibjolanta.wittib Posts: 494 admin

I always have valerian tinctures at home. I do not mind the smell. I think it is a very good sedative without side effects, not like valerian pills. I have valerians officinalis in my garden, but there are lots of mountain valerian (Valeriana montana) round. It is a tiny one. The smell is the same when the roots are dry. Locals use the whole of it: blossoms, roots and leaves.

We do the same in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I was surprised to learn that the books say to only use the root.

• toreytorey Posts: 2,874 admin

The Valerian species we have here are Sitka or Mountain Valerian (V. stichensis) and Marsh or Wood Valerian (V. dioica). V. dioica is not thought to be as medicinal. I have only ever used the roots but I like the idea of adding the whole plant.

This is info on Traditional First Nations usage from my general area. "A decoction of the roots and leaves for colds, influenza, TB, stomach disorders, ulcers. A decoction of the root was taken for pain or as a sleep aid. Stems and leaves were pounded or chewed, then place on cuts, wounds, bruises or inflammations. Dried, powdered roots were sometimes applied to cuts and wounds. Hunters would use a wash of Valerian before a hunt to disguise the human scent."

I just read this in The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies

Edible Use: The seeds are edible when lightly roasted. Medicinal Use: The root is most commonly used but the leaves may also be used for medicine (though they are less potent than the roots). 

• karenjanickikarenjanicki Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

I love Valerian. I use it in combination with skullcap as a tincture for sleep. Everyone always says it stinks but honestly I like the smell haha.