What herbs are in your favorite tea blend?

Wendy
Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I make my own tea blends with herbs I have grown or harvested, and dried for the winter season.

I make a Vitamin C mix with lemon balm, rose hips, violet leaves and flowers, and nettle.

I make a Calcium Rich mix with mint, dandelion, plantain, red clover, and mullein.

Do you make your own teas? What are your favorite herbs to use?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not making my own tea blends but would love to

@Wendy The Vitamin C blend sound amazing!~

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I like cumin, coriander, and fennel for digestion

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I don't drink many hot beverages but discovered Tulsi awhile ago. So if I were to make a blend it would contain tulsi. Wonderful adaptogen. Tried to grow it last year but I don't think the seed I bought was tulsi. It looked like common basil.

I'm one of those weirdos that likes the taste of valerian but I don't think it would combine well with anything else. Too overpowering.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Wendy I make a sleepy time tea with equal parts, camomile, hops flower, passionflower and damiana. That’s what I’m drinking before bed atm. Other times I mix tulsi, lemon balm and camomile. Sometimes I just pick mint fresh and enjoy a cuppa.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

For sleep I use lemon balm and lavendar.

For immune boosting I use thyme, rosemary, oregano and throw in some garlic, ginger, lemon and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Wendy

Your blends sound great! I like to use holy basil in a lot of my tea and tisane blends, for that adaptogenic base, and then I go from there depending on what type of blend I'm going for. One of my favorites that I make contains holy basil, mint, and chamomile. An uplifting blend I like is holy basil with black tea and cordyceps.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I've really been into iced hibiscus tea lately. I use two tablespoon hisbicus, 1 teaspoon spearmint, 1 tsp. lemon grass, and a long strip of lemon or orange peel. I pour two cups boiling water and steep 15 -30 minutes. Strain and store in fridge as a concentrate. I mix it 50/50 with water. Please note that my hibiscus is whole calyxes, so less material per tablespoon than if it were fine pieces. Also, I am using up dried spearmint and lemongrass that I've had for quite a while, so they probably aren't very strong. You might want different proportions.. I had a more complicated blend I used to make, but I've forgotten my recipe, unfortunately.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I don't make my own, but I would love to. I like peppermint tea mostly and there is a honey ginger citron tea from Costco that is great. I drink it any time I feel rundown.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Tulsi, and it's so much easier to grow than regular basil.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many different ingredients so I am always mixing it up to fit my mood 😁

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Wendy a good discussion theme!

I prepare two mixtures. One as a morning tea and one for the evening.

Now, in spring I use detox plants: dandelion leaves and roots, birch leaves and buds, ground elder and some mint for the taste. This is a morning blend as it is also a diuretic.

in the evening I have lavender, lemon verbena, rose petals and some Jerusalem artichokes leaves. Lovely mild blend.

I change mixtures every one or two weeks. There are so many herbs and so much good inside them. It would be too boring to drink the same all the time. Besides a wider variety of herbs gives me a wider variety of good substances.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

I LOVE making tea blends. I’ve found that lemon thyme is one of my favorites and mix it with lemon balm, and spearmint. It’s great left overnight and enjoying cold. Lately have been making lemon balm, chamomile, with a tiny bit of lavender and rose petals (for my broken heart). In the afternoons I add some grapefruit mint and dried orange peel for some added nutrients...

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

Ohhhhh @Wendy , I enjoy making my own tea!! I love adding Licorice root to any of the blends for sweetness! One of my favorites is a mixture of Nettle leaves, dandelion leaves, peppermint, rose hips and of course......licorice root. I infuse it overnight and the next day, I have a quart to drink! Yum!!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@torey WOW---you like the taste of valerian, more power to ya! I have tried and tried, even added many things to drown out the flavor, but you are right------it is too overpowering! Maybe one day I will get use to it! lol

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Wendy I make peppermint tea, and last year I tried drying raspberry leaves. So good! I want to try drying more edibles this year!

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Here in Ecuador we have a tea blend called Horchata (not to be confused with the Mexican version). It's pink in color. I'm starting to grow the herbs needed to make it myself. I don't know the names of most of them as they're all local but it includes a few of the more known herbs like chamomile and lemongrass. Here's an article if anyone is interested. It's truly the best tasting tea I've ever had anywhere. Even the bags from the grocery store are delicious, hot or iced.

https://www.laylita.com/recipes/horchata-lojana/