Kunzea ambigua - Tick bush

Kunzea has become a very popular product to relieve muscle tightness, inflammation and pain. It comes as an essential oil, lotions and salves. It basically only grows on the east coast of Australia. Prefers sandy soil and cooler conditions and higher rainfall. It flourishes on Flinders Island. It regenerates after fire.

It was one of the first Australian plants to be introduced into cultivation in England. It’s hardy and in landscaping situations makes a good windbreak and sand dune rehabilitation. It’s attractive flowering habit attracts insects, small birds and long nosed bandicoots. It is small to medium sized and can reach 16ft in height and width. Depending on location, it flowers from Sept- Jan (Southern Hemisphere)

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,402 admin

I have heard of this as an essential oil. But I have never used it or even had the chance to smell it. Love the flower on it. Does the flower have a scent?

I have found seeds on Amazon. Are they easy to start from seed? We are colder than England in winter but maybe its something that I could have in a pot and bring in for the winter? Do you know if they will do OK in pots?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,402 admin

I forgot to ask. Is there a reason that it is called a tick bush? Does it attract ticks or repel them?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,481 admin

@torey apparently propagating from seed is the go and I think you could try in a pot. It likes moist, sandy free draining and low fertility soil type. Yes apparently they are known to repel ticks (i should try some) I’ve not smelt this oil personally but told it is much milder than tea tree and a bit sweeter. I’m not sure if wind has any affect on how the plant grows but it does grow in very windy locations.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I had to look up the long nosed bandicoot- so cute! It looks like a cartoon rat. I'll have to tell my kiddos about it.

Mountain Rose Herbs sells the oil. https://mountainroseherbs.com/kunzea-essential-oil