Dandelion: Marsh vs what's in my yard lol

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I have wanted to move some marsh Marigold to my property. Where it grows no one will miss a few plants and my lower creek area would be perfect for it to grow and add such lovely color in the spring.

Has anyone heard medicinal uses for it?

I have not tried it as an edible but will this year.

Thanks for the article@silvertipgrizz

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I have to go out this morning but I'll get back to you on the medicinal uses. For now, lets just say it is a member of the Buttercup family which has a number of toxic members. One of Marsh Marigold's uses is as an emetic (makes you vomit), so lots of cautions here. Also, it has a sap that could cause irritation in sensitive individuals, so be really cautious moving it.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey

@Denise Grant

Certainly cause for many sources for research on this plant for medicinal and food considering.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@silvertipgrizz Really nice article. Thank you.

If I can find the one place, at the right time, where this grows I will post a photo. Beavers came in a dammed up three ponds. All around it grows marsh marigolds. It spring it is a stunning sight

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@silvertipgrizz The authors of both these articles seem to have done a pretty good job of listing all the cautions for Marsh Marigold from the edibility point of view. I found some other sources that suggest the very young leaves can be eaten raw but I think this is one that I would cook whether young or not. For people who are sensitive to the sap, just handling it can be highly irritating, even blistering, so I can't imagine having that reaction in any part of the alimentary tract. Heat is supposed to remove the toxin. I found an article that said the same about vinegar so the pickled buds can be used like capers.

@Denise Grant Most of the medicinal uses listed are from old literature, some suggesting its use internally, but mostly for external use. But even in these volumes, I couldn't find any recommended dosing. I would think that it would be a very low dose medicine and not for use by the home herbalist. Personally, I wouldn't make an internal medicine from this one. There are lots of other plants that will work for the same ailments. The juice/sap is listed as a remedy for warts, similarly to dandelion latex, which makes sense. But watch out for that blistering. If you were to use it, make sure to do a skin patch test first. Its not overly common in BC but Traditional First Nations use here seems to be external applications, primarily as a counter irritant.

I found one study indicating antibacterial activity but said that more research is needed.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@torey

Its always nice to know if a plant can be used or not and IF it should be used. Thanks for the info

I wonder if it has environmental benefits? I may look that up just for giggles. (apparently it does not take much to make me giggle)