I know there are more homesteading websites, blogs, and YouTube channels than we can possibly keep up with these days. But does anyone else still love the feel of a real print magazine in their hands?
I suppose Mother Earth News is the first one most folks think of; it's been around since 1970! But my favorites are Self-Reliance and especially its parent magazine, Backwoods Home. I still read MEN and usually get a good idea or two from each issue, but these days the magazine is so oriented to beginners that the articles often seem predictable and superficial, and there's about as much advertising as articles. Backwoods Home and Self-Reliance are what homesteaders' magazines ought to be: in-depth articles on the whole range of useful topics for the practical homesteader who's been at it a while. Lots of practical information, inspiration, great ideas and instructions for useful projects, emphasis on self-reliance and self-sufficiency, limited advertising.
Anyone else have a favorite homesteading magazine?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter