Ever cooked with fenugreek leaves?

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I tried them for the first time two weeks ago. They are popular in Indian cooking; fresh, as a green, and dried, as an herb. I thought the taste was quite good- like a cross between arugula and purslane. Here's what I made with it.

It was really delicious; though, I think it would have been almost as good with another green. The creamy cashew sauce stood out a lot more than the methi.

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I have! I bought seeds to grow it too but never give it top priority and it’s still in the packet. Oops. But I tried it in a different kind of Indian dish. I’ll look for the recipe. It was wonderful. I bet it’s extra good for you too.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I think this was it. I also love the flavor of the dried leaves. I’m not sure about the way it makes me smell like maple syrup the next day though!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella oh, that does sound good. I'll put it on the list.

I also have the seeds and tried to grow them, without much success. I did put them in a terrible spot, however. Now I want to give it another shot.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried growing them for the first time last spring. They didn't do too well, but at least I got to try them. I like the maple syrup smell and taste and plan on trying them again.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks really good! I love Indian food! I printed out a couple recipes from that site. I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow. I'll have to look for some ingredients.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I found a large bag of fenugreek seeds I purchased many years ago and completely forgot about. I sprouted some just to see if they would still germinate and remarkably they did. I will plant them and see how they do.