Wild spring herb soup recipe
Many know green nettle soup. This is another option to obtain the power of spring herbs with the meal.
“Green soup” recipe
It is a traditional soup in Tirol and is prepared and eaten on fasting days and especially on a Thursday before Easter - Maundy Thursday.
It is believed that herbs give strength. Spring has power of bringing nature back to life after winter. Spring herbs would have the power of bringing our bodies back to active life.
Ingredients: 2 big handfuls of 9 wild herbs: dandelion leaves, dead nettle tops, ribwort plantain, yarrow leaves, nettle shoots, chickweed, daisy leaves, lesser celandine leaves, sorrel leaves.... whatever you find ... ramsons, young lime tree, birch tree leaves, ground elder...and some flowers for decoration: daisy, coltsfoot, dandelion...
150 g of home made bread, 50 g butter, 1 onion, 1,5 Liter clear soup or broth, 2-3 spoons of cream, salt, pepper, 1 spoon of butter, 1 spoon of chopped chives.
Preparation: Cut bread into cubes, fry 2/3 of cut bread in a pot in butter with chopped onion. Add clear soup or broth. Cook well and blend, add salt and pepper. Then add the finely chopped herbs and cream. Mix well or blend again.
Make croutons from the rest of bread: fry bread in butter and add chopped chives.
Serve decorated with croutons and blossoms of herbs.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter