I went out and harvested ramps (leeks) today. I was not sure if I was in season or just before.
I actually found them to be just about the right size. Next week they will be just a bit bigger but the season should still be fine for a few more weeks.
My family has harvested ramps for years but until last year I had never tried them. They are so good! I plan to take some to tomorrow event. We can all smell wonderful together.
I also picked some with roots to start a patch here. Most areas where you can pick ramps are getting posted so I am preparing.
What ramp recipe do you have that you like? I know I can make a leek dip, and leek soup. I also read they can be canned
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter