Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Turmeric, A Delicious Medicinal Spice — The Grow Network Community
People who love to eat are always the best people.

- Julia Child

Turmeric, A Delicious Medicinal Spice

Comments

• jolanta.wittibjolanta.wittib Posts: 493 admin

We can buy fresh Turmeric root in our local supermarket. It is always on our breakfast table. We slice it thin and lay on bread and butter and then add avocado and some herbal salt and pepper. It tastes good and we consider it to be healthy.

I have read that Turmeric mixed with ginger and a bit of black pepper is a good precaution against cancer. It is anti inflammatory. We use it for strengthening immune system and against viruses (Corona) 😊

Has anyone tried to grow Turmeric in a pot? Once I tried to grow it in a pot. Just planted the root. It did grow, but was not too happy in our climate. So I gave up. May be I should try again.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,469 admin

That combo with the butter and avocado sounds pretty good!

I forgot to mention, that it is a perfect natural colour for threads, fabrics, @Lisa K reminded me, that it can also be used for dying eggs.

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 1,879 admin

Turmeric is a huge part of our diet.

I do grow some in the house and its doing quit well. I did kill the first plant. There alwasy seems to be one plant that has to be sacrificed when learning.

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to add turmeric & black pepper to at least one meal a day.

@Denise Grant I know what you mean - killing a plant by learning. I will have another go with turmeric.

Well, it goes not only for plants. Unfortunately one bee family did not survive my first beekeeping winter. A hard way to learn. Luckily the other ones survived.

edited April 9

@jolanta.wittib I would love to have bees here, but the ones you buy do not do well here. Our winters have to much ups and downs and the last set of ups and downs seem to do most peoples bees in.

My grandfather had a way with bees, like a bee whisperer. They would crawl all over him and never bite him.

Bees are such a help to nature I would love to try them one day

Good luck with the tumeric

Kami Mcbride has a Mini course on planting and using Tumeric. I used her suggestions to grow mine. I am look for any info on it

• SuperCSuperC Cook at Wahlburgers The Frozen Tundra in the Northern MidwestPosts: 371 ✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib yum thin slices of turmeric with avocado, as black pepper activates the turmeric. I cannot have gluten yet without it sounds scrumptious. I will be trying this yummy combo.

• stephanie447stephanie447 Ayurvedic Practitioner Annapolis, MDPosts: 313 ✭✭✭

OK, I like turmeric as an herb but I'd hardly call it "delicious." To me it doesn't have much of a direct taste at all, it more seems to bring out the flavor of other spices. :-)