The unexpected love affair
As many of you know I have the one rescued rabbit. I was very hesitant to take it as I was not sure what was all wrong with it and if it could cause health issues with any of my other animals. But here she is and at this point living in the house.
At first I had her in a small cage but she did much better with more attention so she ended up roaming the one room with supervision. I have taught her how to use her own litter box and she does not chew items so she is doing ok. I am not sure if she will ever be quite the same as a normal rabbit but she loves attention and her care is not extreme. Time will tell if she ever totally recovers.
Well, I was concerned about our cat. He's a rescue and probably at one time had to forage wild animals to survive. How would he react to a rabbit? He was curious and somewhat jealous. After a few weeks, he tried to share his catnip mouse but the rabbit did not appreciate the generous gesture.
Little Man (the cat) lost all his cat friends in the last two years and recently the dog, which he idolized. I think he enjoyed this new ball of fur but really did not know what to think about it.
In the last two days they have become inseparable. I will look down and they are side by side or the cat is curled up and the rabbit is resting in the curl. It's definitely a love affair of sorts. As I type the rabbits has decided to run sprints in the den by me and the cat is trying to entice the rabbit to play with the catnip mouse, to no avail.
I have been trying to take a photo of the two but the cat is camera shy - the rabbit is a camera hog.
Life with animals is always an adventure
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter