Et Tu Apricot?
I have an apricot tree.
It has bloomed and set fruit for 5 years. I have never gotten a single apricot from it.
Invariably it blooms, sets fruit....and then it freezes.
This year I threatened to cut it down if it doesn't produce a harvest. We didn't prune it, just left it be this spring. It had thousands of blossoms which are now little apricots....and it's supposed to get to 30 degrees three nights in a row. The tree is too large to be covered.
I have not let myself be hopeful for a harvest, although apricot jam will be in the makings if there is.
So, the next three days will be telling.
If I do cut the tree down, is the wood good for anything? Wooden spoons? Is it a hardwood? A baseball bat perhaps?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter