Total surprise natural, organic gift
I’m one lucky girl. I was totally surprised and delighted with an outstanding gift from my wife yesterday. I received a pack of 4 natural, unbleached layered, cotton vegetable “swags”. A cotton pouch with a fold over piece that stores your vegetables, fresh for 2 weeks. You dampen the swag and store your veg, spray with water when it feels dry. Cut fruit and veg thrive, without having to be cling wrapped ( I was using my wax wraps for cut stuff) less wastage, less plastic etc.
Then in the same parcel was a bag of Soap Berries. Sapindus mukorossi. The shells provide a toxin free alternative to mainstream washing detergent. You put 5 shells in a cotton bag, put in washing machine with clothes, good for up to 5 separate washes. When done, straight in the compost.
So this morning, I’m going to wash my 4 fruit and veg swags with the soap berries and hang to dry in our glorious autumn sunshine. Apparently washing the swags first activates its water absorption super powers. I got a little excited yesterday and didn’t read the instructions!
Sorry upside down and sideways photos from down under!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter