Some Reading for a Rainy Day

We all probably know about the Foxfire books, but I just came across a Missouri version called Bittersweet--same idea, high schoolers in the 1970's out interviewing old timers to record their knowledge of the old ways before it was gone, but in the Ozarks instead of Appalachia.

All ten volumes are free and available online from the Springfield-Greene County Library, and they make fun browsing on a rainy day, when it's too wet to get outside.

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

This is really nifty. Thanks for sharing.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely idea. More areas should do this.

Thanks for sharing

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

That is a wonderful idea!

We once had a group of moms who would get together to teach each other old time crafts, trade seeds, and such. It was fun and very educational, and we still have the Egyptian top onions. But a whole set of 10 books.... wow!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

That's really cool! Thank you for posting this ❤

• Annie Kate

Yes, more than a few; maybe a whole year. So much to learn and enjoy, so little time!

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there were projects like this outside the U.S.--maybe Canada, Australia, European countries? That would make some really interesting comparisons.

• Annie Kate

Yes, it would. I would love to see that.

We have a couple here from Austria who run an old-time European farm. They take interns, and I've been considering it.

• MaryRowe

@Annie Kate What a great experience that would be. A person could end up experiencing ten volumes worth directly!

• MaryRowe

@Annie Kate What a great experience that would be. A person could end up experiencing ten volumes worth directly!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate What a wealth of knowledge to access to. Interning there would be an unforgettable experience.

• Annie Kate

Yes, @MaryRowe and @RustBeltCowgirl, it would be an incredible experience . I need to decide whether or not I can fit it in without causing my fatigue to come back. And we are completely locked down now, so I don't know if they are having people come to their farm these days.

But, it is so tempting. Cowbells on the cows, all the animals and birds wandering through the woods and pastures at will. The only thing missing is the mountain....