Mower Tires

frogvalley
frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

THE PROBLEM - Our riding mower tires keep going flat from thorns.

SOLUTIONS - See below. Please add your two cents before I go broke buying tires.

My husband bought two new front tires for the mower last year. In March of this year, he had to buy two more because the ones from last year were already torn up from thorns. He replaced a back tire last week from the same issue. Today, he was out mowing and a front tire went flat again from thorns.

We've been here 35 year and this is the first year we've had this happen. GRRRRRRR! I think it might be because they are lawn tires versus field tires like our old tractor had, but he's the type of person who doesn't stray from what one is supposed to do and doesn't think it will work.

There are a few things to try that I found on the internet, but I wanted to see if anybody has had this issue and what they did that worked or didn't work.

The way I see it, there are several things to try:

Field Tires

Foam Insulation

Inserts

Sealants

Something Else

PLEASE let me know if you or anyone you know have any experience with tires deflating. You don't even have to know them. You could have been told a story 7th hand. It could have come to you in a dream. Anything at all will help. Ok, a beignet recipe won't help, but anything short of that just might.

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@frogvalley where we use to live, catheads and bindies were a part of life. Mowers, wheelbarrows, push bikes etc were not spared. We always used a product called Slime. Follow package directions. Worked well. In situations where the tyre was really worn and needed replacing, we always went for a heavier duty tyre but always had Slime on hand.

• frogvalley

Ah, I think I came across that once, but I thought it was a product description, not an actual name. Good to know! I'll look for it. Thank you so much.

• frogvalley
    edited April 2021

I watched a video reviewing tire sealants and decided that Slime and Multi Seal were two brands to try because they work and don't freeze (Multi Seal faired better after freezing than the Slime). I looked them both up online and found that Flat Out is a newer product by Multi Seal that says it will last 10 years as opposed to Slime's one year, works in holes up to 1/2 inch compared to 1/4 inch holes with all other products and doesn't require a hose like the others. I was fully prepared to buy Slime at the local big box store since we couldn't find Flat Out, but came upon it in a different department. We decided to give it a go. It does cost a little more, but well worth it - hopefully.

My husband followed the directions on the can and took care of all three tires in less than half an hour. He's back in the saddle for under $45. Yippee! He'll do the fourth tire later, or sooner if it gets a flat.

Thank you so much for the help @jodienancarrow as I didn't feel very good about sealants at all (as in I wasn't going to try them at all) until your posting. It is cheaper than the alternatives, quick and it seems to work. Hubby has been on the tractor for half an hour so I guess we have a winner.

We're also going to get a bottle of Multi Seal (for cars) for each car to keep next to the tire pump in case of emergency. Living in the country, we have had our share of flat tires so it will give a bit of peace of mind. Additionally, I now have something unique to give as presents that say "I care for you" like the fire extinguishers a few years ago.

• frogvalley

Update 4-28-21 The tractor has been used four of the last seven days for upwards of four hours each day. All of the tires have been fine. We really can't believe how wonderful the FlatOut is.