Energy bars or bites? (Seeking recipe)

Merin Porter
Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

When I was growing up, there was a natural foods store near us that had "energy bars" in the bulk bin section. They were dark brown, and maybe had coconut in them? Probably dates, too, now that I think of it. I couldn't have been more than about 10, and I remember liking them.

Anyway, I'd love to create a batch of healthy snacks along those lines to keep around the house. I've got three kids (8, 9, and 11) who have varying degrees of interest in healthier foods, so these will need to taste decent -- nothing too "healthy" tasting. :D

Does anyone make anything like this, and have a recipe they'd be willing to share? I'd so appreciate it!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

This is a no-bake peanut butter based one from the Herbal Academy.

But I am a chocolate fiend so I prefer these ones.

I think both of these will pass the "not-too-healthy" taste test.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try "raw cookie dough" from Andrew Skurka. Don't be put off by the name. There are no eggs or milk in it. It is made of cashews, raw oats, chocolate chips, and some spices and sweeteners.

https://andrewskurka.com/snack-recipe-raw-cookie-dough/

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey I'm going to make the 3 Ingredient Chocolate Date Nut Bars. My mother in law just gave me 2 big bags of almonds and I have a few cashews I could add in. Sounds good and healthy!

@VermontCathy My daughter has made raw cookie dough with aquafaba instead of eggs when her friends come over. They've eaten all every time.

• Merin Porter

@torey these look amazing! I think I may have to try both.

@VermontCathy yum! Okay, adding this one to my list, too.

Thank you so much! :)

• Merin Porter

@torey I noticed that the adaptogen bliss balls use a half cup of "powdered herbal adaptogen blend." It says "this could include any combination of the following powdered herbs: astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus) root, eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) root, ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root."

I'm wondering if there is a particular ratio of these you use/recommend. Also, can you buy these herbs already powdered, or do you just buy the roots and use a coffee grinder or something to powder them?

Finally -- and on pretty much a completely different note -- I have been wondering recently whether there were nutritives I could add to my morning coffee, and I'm wondering if something like this adaptogen blend would work. What do you think? Or is there something else you would recommend for that?

Thank you, thank you!!! <3

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@Merin Porter

I don't use any particular recipe for the adaptogen blend. More just what I have on hand. I always have astragalus and it adds its own level of sweetness. Reishi is a good one for this recipe. Rhodiola could be added to the mix. The good part about this is you can personalize the recipe. For kids, if they like chocolate, you could add some cocoa powder. Or turmeric for all its wonderful properties. If you want to use these as an afternoon pick-me-up you could add guarana powder for a caffeine kick. You might like to add some Maca to the blend if you want to energize your libido or some Wild Yam. Some Gingko or Lion's Mane for memory. But if you would like to stick to the recipe for the first time, I would use equal parts of each. Oh, and cinnamon. I put cinnamon in just about everything. It goes well with the ginger and cardamom. 1-2 tsp.

Mountain Rose has powdered herbs as does Harmonic Arts in Canada.

As to your morning beverages, Nikki wrote a blog article for TGN, "4 Reasons I 'Drink' My Mushrooms". She discusses the Four Sigmatic products which include coffee and hot chocolate. I have never tried them but I buy a similar product from Harmonic Arts called 5 Mushroom Chocolate and it is very good. I'm not a hot beverage kind of gal but my husband has it every morning and really likes it. I add cinnamon to it as well. Harmonic Arts has other blends, too, including a Golden Mylk blend. But you can also buy the mushrooms on their own and add them to your beverage of choice. They have individual mushroom extracts as well as blends. I think @JennyT might have commented on using the Four Sigmatic blend in another discussion so she might like to add some input here on her opinions of the product.

For another "nutritive" morning beverage, you could try the Roasted Roots Brew in Rosalee's Wild Remedies book. Or blend it half and half with coffee if you like the caffeine.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, these look tasty!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

These do look tasty. May have to see about getting some of the powdered herbs and getting some made. I have always had a horrible sweet tooth. So having a few healthier snacks that actually taste good, would be wonderful.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

These do look fun for my family. I don't handle sweet very well so they all seem like they have to much sugar for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutions in the "raw cookie dough" recipe to replace the maple syrup with something less sweet?

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

If you are willing to eat a loose mix instead of pressed bars, here's a high-energy, tasty, balanced snack. Feel free to tinker with the quantities of each ingredient.

8 oz cashews

2 - 3 oz rolled oats

2 -3 oz chocolate chips

2 - 3 oz maple syrup

1 tsp vanilla

Salt to taste

Cinnamon to taste