Cultivating Weeds for Health: Pros > Cons?
Hey, Marjory here. I hope you already knew that weeds are great for your mental and physical health. But did you know that many predacious weeds can be medicinal too? Since they can grow easily and possibly take over your yard, if you're not careful, make sure you know their uses before throwing them away.
I joined my friend, Dr. Patrick Jones, Veterinarian and Naturopath at HomeGrownHerbalist.net, to explain the pros and cons of cultivating weeds on your property or in your garden.
In our brief chat (below), Dr. Jones also mentions how easy it is to wildcraft and identify medicinal plants in his community.
You can learn how to find medicinal plants in your yard by studying in The Grow Network's Academy here: https://academy.thegrownetwork.com/
I've seen advertisements for dandelion root tea, mullein leaf, and horsetail recently. Many people have claimed that just these few weeds are good for your liver, kidney, lung, and overall health. Maybe we should change our feelings about weeds, huh?
Anyway, instead of herbicides and countless hours cursing the weeds 'til you pull them all up, try harvesting them and learning more about them. At The Grow Network, we're literally providing solutions to thousands of people around the world. It's incredible how so much of what you need is just waiting for you outside.
Last summer, I hiked parts of Colorado with my gluten-sensitive assistant. Lol made her keep a lookout for cattail. Then before our hiking adventures were over, I made her a yummy gluten-free pie. Nature is literally the gift that keeps on giving. Let me know if I should share my cattail pie recipe.
Also, let me know what weeds you've enjoyed and maybe wrestled with lol
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter