The week in my garden

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

As some of you may be aware, I recently had shoulder surgery (now 8 weeks post op) So this week I felt better about doing a bit in the vegetable garden. I was missing my time in my space. I did heaps before the op but not a lot since. Boy, have I lost my strength and condition in such a short time! Not just my shoulder! I feel tired after not doing all that much and a bit disappointed that my body is so willing to ache and be non willing. Anyway, I managed to plant my garlic and potatoes, a little late but still should be ok. Planted the second crop of sugar snap peas. Would have planted onions and carrots but alas no seed! The choko vine that grew like a triffid and looked to be interfering with my netted garden is now all gone and I will never plant a choko inside the garden again! I’ve been getting inventive with choko recipes, since we grew so many.

What have you been up to this week in your piece of paradise, body willing?

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow I'm so happy for you to be able to get back to planting. I'm sorry to hear that it is so hard on your body. I'm confident that you will get your strength back.

We are still about 2 weeks ahead of being able to do most of the planting for our weather. I have spent most of the morning dreaming about getting out there and really get it going! I think my husband is sick of hearing about it.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Heal quickly @jodienancarrow

Its still unpredictable here so I am working with seedlings and moving perennials that need to be moved for new projects in the yard. I alos sell perennials and other plants I move, get for free or start from seed or clippings for extra income and stress relief. There is something about having yoru hands in soil that makes the world a better place

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Don't push yourself too much.......it takes time to heal, and shoulder surgery is a biggie!

I've planted a few things, but now watching videos etc on how to build a brooder. I think I have figured it out and will try tomorrow!

THEN I can get back outside!!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@water2world Be sure go share your project in a dedicated post! 😄

@jodienancarrow I understand the feeling. Don't push too hard as others have said. Take it slow and enjoy your space.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@jodienancarrow Will be praying for a speedy and full recovery.

We are watching the snow melt here. Looks like another week or two and it will be gone. Then if things dry out fast enough we will get the greenhouse cover back on and hopefully get some raised beds built. Need to get a lot of things planted but cannot plant outdoors until memorial weekend here. Haven't even gotten anything started yet. But have big plans for what we want to grow and even have customers lined up including our local grocery if we can manage to get it going well enough to supply us and have extra for them.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you are back in the garden@jodienancarrow.

It's been a late year for getting the garden started this year. At first I thought it would be an early year because the snow melted a couple of weeks earlier than averag and the ground thawed and became workable right away, but we've had so much cold weather since then, the plants are really taking their time getting started even after seeding.

The peas are still only about an inch high as we enter May. The spring spinach only sprouted a week ago. The spring-planted onions are putting down roots, but have yet to start their green tops.

This year has shown me how imported fall-planted crops and permaculture crops are. We're eating spinach and claytonia in quantity from plants that wintered over in cold frames and sprouted very early. The fall-planted multiplier onions are already 4 - 6" tall and beginning to divide. The strawberries are green and healthy, though we won't get actually berries for a long time yet.

Nothing planted this spring has produced even one bite of food for us. :-( Most have barely sprouted.