Pneumonia

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in General Health

My mom is in the hospital for Pneumonia (not covid related) . What should I expect when I get her home and how can I rebuild her? She is definitely weaker. With the loss of her son she is double stressed and down so how can I make her life better and more healthy? I'll be down later. I'd be there now but hospital hours are limited. Her oxygen saturation Its been low and they need to get it up.

I have breathing exercises set up for her and she will enter PT (she does not know that yet, lol)

And how long does it take to recover from Pneumonia? She is 91 almost 92

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I was young when I had pneumonia and at the time in 1969 I worked at a hospital and it was the Hong Kong Flu. First I got the flu and then pneumonia and it took me 6 weeks to recover. I was 24 at the time. I would consider a recovery time (depending on her health beforehand) at least 12 weeks or more.

One of the things I noticed right away I was so tired. I had been very active and we lived almost on the beach. So I had been very active. I could barely make it up the stairs. Hold off on the PT for awhile. It will be to tiring for her. I was down the whole time. It hit me very hard!

I also had trouble with the breathing but didn't have oxygen at anytime. She may need to come home with oxygen. Please take good care of your mom.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Denise Grant

From your posts that I have read, I'm pretty sure you will do a good job in the nutrition department. Try to get as much nutrition as possible packed in, as her portion sizes will be quite small. If she can drink smoothies, you could add powdered fruits and veggies to get a bigger bang for your buck. Chia seed pudding with coconut milk is a good source of protein. Powdered fruit would add more nutrition. I add stocks to savoury dishes if water is called for, to boost the nutritional content. There is a discussion about "Hidden Veggies", so adding veggies to other dishes will increase the nutrition.

Herbs to add to her diet would include adaptogens. There is another discussion "Energy Bars or Bites?" that has a recipe for Adaptogen Bliss Balls if she likes sweets. The Chocolate Date Nut bars are high in protein. In addition to being a good adaptogen, Astragalus is helpful for lung deficiency. Holy basil tea is a lovely adaptogen.

Mullein leaf or coltsfoot leaf tea will help if she still has a cough. Licorice root is good for coughs, but is also anti-inflammatory and helps heal mucous membranes.

Fire Cider will help prevent re-infection.

Make sure she stays well hydrated. Getting her moving, even if it is just a few steps at a time, will help prevent fluid accumulation and re-infection.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin
    edited April 2021

I'd add tot he above, thyme, oil of oregano, garlic, turmeric, angelica and Codonopsis/dang shen to the list. I've had pneumonia and pleurisy... a few times - never fun. Oh, and pleurisy root! Some fermented foods to help with the rebound from antibiotics would be good, too.

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning You would make a good homeopath! Addressing the mental/emotional aspect!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@torey lol...I don't know about that! I just know what my family history has and when I learned about hawthorn, it was one of those things that I could not forget.

Everyone will lose someone at some point. I have seen & experienced how hard it is to lose a spouse or a child (from miscarriage to an older child). In my case, a miscarriage. I also remember my grandpa when he lost Grandma. He was around 90 at the time. It was extremely hard for him and a first heart attack ever followed a month later when some thieves stole his car from his yard when he was trying to help them. This could have helped so much!

I just wish our bountiful wild & domestic planted hawthorns were not so full of maggots here. ☹ I wanted to start taking it daily...except for that!

• Monek Marie

@LaurieLovesLearning Yes I imagine part of her being tired is grief. I have never had such a sad and horrible thing to do as to tell mom about Bob. She just sat there stunned,then said "why now?" Although she has not said it I know she would trade places to give him more time with this children and grandchildren. so thank you for suggestion. We have a ton of wild hawthorne here. I will check it of maggots. Could growing it with other plants help with that issue? Maggot control?

And thank you all f@judsoncarroll4 @torey @dipat2005 @LaurieLovesLearning or your suggestions. I'll study them and make a plan.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2021

You are welcome. I wish both you and your mom well in this uncertain and difficult time. I am glad you have received some wise advice here to help.

My understanding is that my province has been blessed with apple maggots, which seem to not miss any apple trees that I have sought out, and they infest hawthorn too.

We have another type of maggot that has now largely ruined all other berry crops.

It is pretty frustrating as neither seem to have any good solution.

• Monek Marie

@LaurieLovesLearning I am looking for companion plants that will either help with control or attract apple maggots or plants you could use as bait away from your trees. One suggestion was hyssop, borage and mints

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Sorry to hear about your mom, you have gotten a lot of good advise from the posts above. She will probably be discharged with a breathing exercise machine (I've heard it called many things--it is just a plastic tube connected to a devise with a little ball, that shows how much you are breathing. These are a pain to have to do, but they are so helpful in keeping the lungs working. I strongly suggest to continue to use this (I speak from experience! lol)

I also like to use inhalers with blends of Essential Oils. Keep us posted!

• Torey

@Denise Grant I sent you a PM and just wondering if you got it. Sometimes they go to your spam box.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Oh that sounds good! Mint and borage can grow quite well here, although our prolific wild mint does best around wet areas...which don't exist at all yet this year. I haven't tried growing hyssop.

Thank you!

Now, I need to see if anything can be done about that other maggot. 😡

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denise Grant I am very sorry to hear about your Mother. Can't offer much in the way of advice, but will be praying for you both and anyone else who may be affected by the loss.

• Monek Marie

@LaurieLovesLearning Which maggot are you trying to deal with?

Pests are usually a sign of imbalance in nature. The healthier your area and plants the better off they are to fight against insect and disease. That's why permaculture ideas set up some area the ways they do. I am really thinking a different environment around your hawthornes would help. If Maggots are a huge problem in your area it makes it worse to fight them but if your land is not as fun and pleasant to them they will move to your neighbors ;)

@torey Let me check my inbox. Yesterday was a bit cut up. I may have missed a message

• LaurieLovesLearning

First is the apple maggot. The other, that is still relatively new here, that affects soft fruits (raspberries, etc.) is mentioned below in the link.

The hawthorn is native to my province. The only couple I have here are right beside a sprayed field, so I don't consume them. I am keeping your suggestions in mind, however, if I do plant more. I can't go planting things wherever I see hawthorn here. Lol That would be a lot of work!

I have seen this maggot even in fully organic areas as well. That might be the better place to carry on the conversation.

The comment is found in Judson's thread,

UNUSUAL FRUIT AND FRUIT TREES TO GROW.

That might be the better place to carry on this part of the conversation.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant You have certainly received some great answers. When I worked at the two hospitals I hadn't started learning about how I could use herbs. I have to admit that the antibiotics took there sweet time in helping me. I am so glad that so many are on this journey. I do hope that you and your mother will work things out together. That is what families are all about.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

More for the broken heart...rose w/hawthorn goes hand in hand. You may want to consider motherwort in small amt. The flavour is bitter and it is a strong herb, it os like a warm hug.

Re low oxygen levels, by all means you may reach out to me privately since that is my expertise. I am a Respiratory Therapist and run the Home Oxygen Program at Veterans Hospital in Long Beach, CA.

It is not unusual to discharge with oxygen for a couple of weeks until your mother gets stronger. Big thing is get her moving, walking and get her nutrition up and get her out in the sun for some vitamin D. Hospital food is generally not that great or healthy. Good luck, i am sorry to hear you mother has pneumonia. You can both get thru this.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry to hear this. Poor lady! I wish you strength as you care for her.

For the broken heart, you could also get her to try EFT/tapping. It seems weird (it is weird! LOL) but it works. It is based on tapping the ends of acupuncture meridians, if I understand correctly.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Homeopathic Ignatia is great for grieving people. Rescue Remedy is also helpful. Grieving is normal but staying in it while trying to recover from a serious illness is not a good idea. If possible I'd get her on some Vitamin C and B12 and mineral IV's. They can put all those things in one bag. Black seed oil has been my go-to remedy for anything lung related. 1tsp 3 times daily. That quantity might be a bit much for her so maybe a little less and take with lipase or an enzyme mix.

• Monek Marie

Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice.

My mom is getting a bit better every day. She is still weak but her color is better, her speech is better (she had an old voice for a few days) and she says her heart breat is not as storng s it was before: regular but not as strong. I told her it will take time and we will have to figure out the weaker beat. Pneumonia takes its toll, especially in a person soon to turn 92.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭

Yay that she is doing a bit better! And good for you for all your caring. That can take its toll, too. Make sure to take as good care of yourself as you do of your mom and your animals, @Denise Grant !

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Ignatia was my first thought too @Sharie . It's always my go to in cases of loss/grief, whether from a relative, money or a part in a play. It was several months after my heart (grandmother) passed away that I discovered it and it has supported me ever since. My word about the experience were "My heart is broken" which led me straight to it.

@Denise Grant You are such a wonderful person surrounded by loving family, friends and critters. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I echo the Ignatia too. I will also send some love and prayers for you both. You have a lot of support. Please remember to take care of yourself too.

• Monek Marie

Moms walking is better. Her voice is returning to normal (it sounded weak and shakey) and her breathing and energy are getting better, She still has a long way to go but there are positive signs.

She has never liked hospitals but she has long 6 inch bruises from the ivs and her one vein that they used for the iv is extended and rather funny looking. Being in a semi lock down hosiptal stage also made talking with nuirses and doctors very difficult.

A day at a time. I appreciate all the advice

• Torey
    edited May 2021

As grief as come up in this discussion (as being a possible link to physical illness), I thought I'd post this link to a blog article from the Herbal Academy on Rose for grief support that just arrived in my in box.

To everyone who suggested it, Ignatia is a great suggestion.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Yay! I am so glad to hear she is getting better. Is your mother home yet?

• Monek Marie

@tilathehunn Thank you. My mom came home last Sunday. I think the main reason they sent her home was the hospital was depressing her so. She was a lot of work at home the first few days but I am really seeing improvement. The most important thing is her breathing is much better. I was very concerned about that at first. She has lung exercises to do and she is actually really sticking with them

@torey Thanjks for the info on roses. The one culinary herbalism class I am taking has talked about them some and will more. I'll look inot getting more rose tomorrow.

And thanks to all who have sent positive notes and vibes. We both have needed it

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Nebulizing hydrogen peroxide is known to be very helpful for pneumonia. Here is an article from Orthomolecular Medicine News Service: Hydrogen Peroxide Nebulization and COVID Resolution (activehosted.com)

• Monek Marie

Mom Is improving. At 91 Pneumonia takes it toll. I have her doing breathing exercises and she is doing very well with that.

Her bruising from IV's are getting much better. In a month or so I will get her in PT so she builds back up but she is doing remarkably well.

Thank you for all your tips and suggestions