Plants that repel mosquitoes

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Good info for this time of year. Ugh I hate mosquitoes.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

They forgot Beauty Bush

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, thanks for sharing. @judsoncarroll4 I'll keep this in mind for when I'm setting up my new garden/flower beds at our new place.😊

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some scented Geraniums that are Citron and they seem to work as well.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

Well, I have tried some of these in direct application. As in rubbing the plants directly on your skin. Some work for a short period. Catnip seems to work best. I think using them in a combination spray with essential oils will maximize their potency and make them more effective and for longer periods.

Gotta say, though, just having them as plants in the garden doesn't seem to help. The CLOUDS of mosquitoes are just as thick no matter what part of my garden you are in. I have large patches of mint, lemon balm, catnip and marigolds but there is no difference around them.

Maybe southern mosquitoes are more sensitive creatures? 🤣 Northern mosquitoes, black flies, no-see-ums, etc. are every bit as big and ferocious and numerous as you have been led to believe.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

No, I agree with you on that point. I don't think just planting them will do much.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,452 admin

I have tried all kinds of intensive scented herbs like peppermint, marigold, apple mint... I am not sure I tried catnip @torey thank you for the hint. I’ll definitely try it out.

what helps me most is sitting by a bonfire. The more I smell like bonfire, the fewer mosquitos like me.

I should also have something to do either with blood or smell. Mosquitoes like my husband much more than me, so when we walk together, I am of almost no interest to mosquitoes. Is it because only female mosquitoes need blood 😉.

And the best means after mosquito bite is plantain. I rub it onto a bitten place and the itching is gone.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I don't eat much sugar, but do eat lots of alliums, I think that's why mosquitos leave me alone. My kids ate lots of sugar (before I learned better) and were walking mosquito buffets. I wish I knew then what I know now.

This Week's Leaders