Growing lettuce

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in Vegetables

My lettuce usually does quite well but I know people that struggle with it, particularly in warmer climates.

Here's a link for growing it and a few common problems. https://morningchores.com/lettuce-problems/

Comments

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Good article. I have mostly planted arugula, chard, and various cruciferous vegetables. Giving lettuce a real try this summer.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Denise Grant sometimes germination rates are poor with some seed companies, so always buy from a reputable company. If collecting your own seed, storage is important. Growing lettuce in the cooler months is usually easy, it’s the warmer months that’s the challenge and I have found red and green oak leaf to be the best in warmer months. And yes the soil needs to be at its prime, lots of compost and mulch. Thanks for sharing a nice article.

• Monek Marie

Lettuce grows well for me in this climate. In summer I put it in a place that gets a little shade and I still have a crop.

@jodienancarrow I am growing red and green oak leaf this year for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs.

@marjstratton I try to have a mix of other green too, just in case one crop lets me down. One lettuce I do not like to grow and does not do well here is head lettuce.

• JodieDownUnder

@Denise Grant thought I’d mention this. Ive got a bit of a gap happening atm. Young lettuce germinated but too small, old lettuce pulled out, leggy and bolting. So I made some soup last weekend and thought a nice garden salad would go down a treat with it. I managed without too much trouble to fill my basket with sorrel, nasturtium leaves and flowers, sweet potato leaves, dandelion, rocket, pack Choi. Some avocado and goat’s cheese + a vinaigrette and a pretty good salad. Gotta say I was chuffed, no one batted an eyelid and the salad got cleaned up. Nice to have a back up. I didn’t think like this 3 years ago.

• Monek Marie

I consider my lettuce the fill in ;) and the rest is special and what I look forward too. MY salads never look normal, but then "what is normal?"

As long as it tastes good and looks great, that's what matters.

Your salad sounds delicious!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

jodienancarrow - Very nice! The salad sounds delicious and beautiful with the variety and color from the nasturtium. On an unrelated note, I love that you used the word "chuffed." I had to look it up, and saw that the definition is "very pleased." Interesting! I love words. I don't think I've heard this one before. =) Do you make your own goat cheese?

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can only grow lettuce - green leaf, red leaf, etc on my front porch. For some reason I cannot grow it in my garden. Something always attacks it. So, I plant it in a large square container on my front porch and it grows well.

Last winter I planted Raspberry Lettuce and arugula in my garden. The arugula has already gone to seed and been removed to make way for other plants. But the Raspberry lettuce has multiplied! I'm thinking I'm going to have to move it someplace else if it keeps growing like that. I thought it was a winter garden plant but it must grow all year long around here.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@kbmbillups1 I have never heard of Raspberry Lettuce. Where did you get the seeds?

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

My lettuce is doing so good! I'm so excited!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the same situation as @jodienancarrow. My new lettuce is too small, and the rest has bolted. I don't pull out my lettuce until I've harvested the seeds. I'm learning to plant in two or three pots, each at different times, so it's not all sprouting or bolting at the same time. My favorite salads don't have lettuce.

• kbmbillups1

@torey I found them at a grower's outlet near my house that sells pesticide free vegetable plants. I bought 2 plants in October probably.

• Torey

@kbmbillups1 Does it look like this?

• Monek Marie

@torey That looks like red veined sorrel

• Torey

@Denise Grant That is a pic of Red Veined Sorrel! That was the only thing that came up when I searched for Raspberry Lettuce. Actually called "Raspberry Dressing Rumex Lettuce" on at least one site. How confusing. Not even related to lettuce.

A lovely plant to have in the garden, though. It is hardy in my garden and I love the bitter taste of sorrel. Looks so pretty in a salad. Multiplies easily so you can give some away.

• Monek Marie

@torey I have this plant and I love it. It really dresses up the yard too so picky neighborhoods and HOA's don't complain about this edible

• JodieDownUnder

@happy-trails i think chuffed is an English term but widely used in Australia. Unfortunately I don’t make my own cheese but I just love this product from Australia, Meredith Dairy. They have a great story, use to milk cows but a lot of dairy farmers down here were going bust, due to govt regulation. So switched to goats and decided to value add their products, so they were in control. Now employ a heap of local people and the rest they say is history! I just love the tang and creaminess of this cheese. I do intend to start making my own cheese though.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant the only lettuce we ate when I was a kid was Iceberg lettuce. I refuse to eat it unless I'm in a restaurant that has nothing else. Sure won't try planting it. I really like oak leaf lettuce. Very tasty and quite hearty. I also enjoy arugula.

• kbmbillups1

@torey Yes!! You beat me to the picture.

• Torey

@kbmbillups1 Looks like a very healthy clump! Is that horsetail stems in the front of the second pic? Sometimes I have seen Red Veined Sorrel sold in the water garden section at garden centres. So both the sorrel and the horsetail like it damp.

• kbmbillups1

@torey Yes it's horsetail. I found that last year at the same grower's outlet. It has spread under my garden bed this winter and come up in various places. Funny thing is I thought I'd kill it because my raise bed isn't damp. We had massive rain lately but last year it grew even in the middle of summer when I had to water. I hope I don't jinx it. Better knock on some wood!! 😉

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Now I’m hungry. Spring skipped my area. But I’m going to try various lettuces.