Making potting soil
Does anyone make their own seed starting potting soil? I have always purchased for starting my seeds.
This year did not go well. The first bag killed all 40 of my beautifully freshly rooted Elderberry tree starts. The second "organic" brand was full of fungus gnats and the germination was not what it should have been. Very disappointed! My usual brand was finally back in stock to start all over. Sigh.
With this lack of success and all the toxic pollution in our environment perhaps we all need to create our own mix? I have pretty good garden soil and compost. Must admit to having lots of weed seeds that would be a real problem for seed starting.
Any experienced gardeners have suggestions where to start?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter